TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX Lug Bolt removal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX Lug Bolt removal?
    Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 9:10pm
How do I remove the lug bolt from the hub & rotor on a 69 AMX front disc (power)? I seen a note somewhere a while back saying that you needed to remove the swedge before pushing out the lug or you will damage the hub?
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2018 at 10:44pm
I wish my AMX could talk. I got it from an estate sale. It had new rotors but a bad hub swedge job. Look at the lug bolt at 10:00 o'clock. There is a chunk of metal missing at the base of the lug stud. Bought a pair of used rotors on ebay, had them cut/turned, and added new bearings/races. All good now. I will be following this post to see how you resolve your issue. Last week new bushings were installed in the control arms. Some of the bushings need to be swedged. The tech did a good job....on a scale of 1 to 10 his work is about a 9.5. He did say he never wants to see AMX front end parts again. I knew better than to ask him to replace the torq-link bushings...instead chose more competent hands and sent them to 401MATCOUPE. On a ten scale he did a #ten job! It is hard to find a seasoned front end tech these days who knows 60's AMCs. Let us know how you get through this.     

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Sep/10/2018 at 10:56pm
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 6:33am
I must be missing something here???
Never replaced studs on the 69 disc rotor but have done many others, no issues:
- soak overnight in dextron/acetone
- select a deep impact socket the appropriate size for the back of the stud
- set up on hydraulic press and press the studs out
- reverse and press new studs in

Are the backs of these studs welded???

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 1:21pm
Trader: Back of the lug studs are not welded. 

Galvin's sells the CORRECT lug studs.

Here is a before and after picture of before and after swedge studs.
david0141 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 9:19pm
This is posted on Galvin's site.
TO REMOVE YOUR ORIGINAL HUB FOR THE NEW ROTOR, THESE ARE SWEDGED ON, AND THE SPECIAL TOOL IS NEEDED TO CUT THIS OFF TO REMOVE THE OLD STUDS. 
DO NOT TRY TO PRESS OUT THE OLD STUDS, THEY ARE HARDER METAL THAN THE HUB AND YOU WILL RUIN THE HUB.

Here is my hub. Notice the swedge on the lug. My question is how do I remove the Swedge?
david0141 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 9:25pm
Don't know what happened to the picture. I will post one as soon as I figure it out. Sorry.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2018 at 9:48pm
I have researched this to no avail. It seems like a fine tooth hole saw of the right  diameter/hardness/sharpness would work with a large drill press in removing the swedge mm by mm.. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 7:16am
So looked this up and agree a swedged stud is different. It's flared by a press from the opposite side of the button end. From the front after the stud is pressed in.
Taking one of those swedge removal tool takes out the flare but also removes material from the hub.
Carefully drilling/grinding or drilling center out and chisel off, the button from the back and pressing the stud from back to front seems like the cleanest removal method without damaging the hub.
Early Mack trucks swedged their studs and this was their service method.
Have never run across these things, learn something new every day.  
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 8:16am
Originally posted by david0141 david0141 wrote:

Don't know what happened to the picture. I will post one as soon as I figure it out. Sorry.

David0141,

To post pictures, 30 points (posts) are required by list rules.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 1:26pm
Here is the process of removing the swaged wheel stud:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic