TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Prestolite or Presnolite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prestolite or Presnolite
    Posted: Sep/01/2018 at 1:32pm
I am probably one of the few remaining AMC or IHC owners still using the Prestolite ignition system.  I have a good distributor with a good vacuum chamber and I have several extra ignition modules that I bought back when they were cheap.  I only store one extra module at a time in the car which can get very hot in the California sun.  The car is my 76 Gremlin.

I had never experienced a failure before until today.  The ignition would shut off with no warning.  I had started with a cold engine this morning and the first time it died I was still in my neighborhood.  It would restart but would only run for a few seconds.  There is one questionable solder joint where I had soldered the fine black and white distributor wires, to replace the factory plug IAW with factory service bulletin.  I jiggled that connection while the engine was idling and it did not make a difference in the run/no run situation.  So I suspected the module.  I turned around and headed for home. I replaced the module with an AMC branded replacement and so far the problem is solved.  

If I had a wife or child who was driving this car, I would replace that Prestolite system and I can understand why thousands of people have done so over the years.  But I am driving the car myself, have an extra module at all times, and carry a few tools.  Besides, I am a slow learner and a bit of a Luddite.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2018 at 2:55pm
Funny. Good thing you're well-prepared!
72 Gremlin X
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2018 at 3:18pm
Joe...if the parts are the same for both V-8 and 6 cylinder, I would send you the parts I have for free!!  I think I have a couple of modules laying around out of V-8 and parting out a 76 Matador V-8 right now.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2018 at 7:00pm
I do the exact same thing with my 1977.

Maintain the connections, keep a spare module in the trunk. If the engine misfires or stalls after it warms up, I replace the module on the side of the road and keep driving. No tools required. I use NAPA modules which have a lifetime warranty an I keep the receipts in the glove box so when a module fries I just exchange it for a new one free of charge no matter what NAPA store I go to. 

Not that bad to deal with. If I didn't know my car and didn't know what I was doing, I'd be pissed by frying a module every 50,000 miles, but I do know what I am doing and I don't mind carrying spare modules that cost me nothing to replace. 

Prestolite runs pretty darn good when the connections and module are good. It doesn't have more spark voltage than points, but it has a longer spark duration which is nice and it's more stable at high RPM. Variable dwell too.

I carry a spare ignition coil too. I've lost two coils in the last 50,000 miles so I think Prestolite may be hard on the coils. They are standard points coils but it may just work them harder than points do. Again, spare in the trunk and receipt in the glove box. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2018 at 7:39pm
I bought a Chev P/U and fried a module the first day I drove it. 
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2018 at 7:55pm
I ran Prestolites in my Javelins in the 1980's,
always carried a spare module, never had a problem.

Maybe it was the cool Accel sticker I put on the control box that saved it LOL
if I recal correctly, I mounted the module in a cool spot forward of the radiator which might have helped.

The only igniton issues I ever had in AMC's or Jeeps was frying a 4.0L coil by cranking the engine with the coil wire removed,
and a 4.0L rotor that broke in half,
^the engine still somehow ran (very poorly) with just 1/2 a rotor.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2018 at 6:37am
Hi, I just went from the Prestolite (77 Hornet) to a DUI. So, I have a good used distributor, and a brand new A1 Cardone rebuilt distributor (from Oreillys) in the box, don't know if its good, installed once, car would't run, pulled back out, back in the box. If anyone can use either, you are welcome to them, just pay shipping from 24017. thanks, gz  ALso have the NOS factory wiring upgrade kit. $30.
george z
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2018 at 8:56am
Pm sent.
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic