TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can anyone ID this tool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2018 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Originally posted by amcglass amcglass wrote:

and you can get an extra jaw for .25 also

Here I thought this would be the continuation to the Gizmo, whatcha-ma-call it, doohicky, thinga-mabob.

They almost look like sheep shears to me.

could always get ahold of TIM the TOOL man Taylor and ask ..... he would know

Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
javelinkid View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2018 at 6:39am
I have read that these were for bicycles. Kind of an all purpose wrench that really did not work all that well. Great for rounding off bolt heads! The hole in the end was "supposed" to be for hanging the tool on your handle bars. Sounds safe enough! ;)
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2018 at 10:15am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Wonder if the Ford tool was part of a model T tool kit? But the first year for the model T was 1908..........

Don't let the Ford tool throw you - it's not related to the Elgin tool, other than both came from Dad's house.
It just happens to be in the photo instead of taking two photos.
Would be nice to know about the Ford wrench but it's not related to the Elgin wrench.
I just noticed the Ford tool. I will admit that I have no idea as to what the Elgin tool is.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2018 at 10:56am
Top wrench says FORD on it,
so it's obviously a type of hammer Wink

^is a great place to ask about any unusual tools you come across if you don't get the answers here. 

Edited by jpnjim - Aug/26/2018 at 10:59am
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2018 at 6:34pm
I have the same Ford wrench in my first tool box that I got for Christmas when I was 7-8 years old. I used it on my bicycle for several year until I got my first set of Craftsman combination wrenches. I still have that first tool box and all the tools that I collected as a kid. That Ford wrench is old, but it still has a lot of utility and still be useful  100 years from now.

Tom
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2018 at 9:48pm
Bill, google alloy artifacts.org. and go down the alphabetical list to Elgin tool and socket. You'll find your answer.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2018 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by greasygt III greasygt III wrote:

Bill, google alloy artifacts.org. and go down the alphabetical list to Elgin tool and socket. You'll find your answer.

i guess you missed post number four - been there............  Wink
It looks like it was just supposed to be a handy tool, like pliers or something. There's really nothing specific about these, other than the nickname alligator, associated with it.

I've read about the bicycle tool rumors, too - and enough folks cast serious doubt on that, along with what I know about bikes back then, I suspect it was a thing that either got spread and took on life, or someone did use it for their bike back then and hated doing so.
First, seriously, take off the grip each time?
Ya, right - those often were next to impossible to take off, and to have to remove the grip to get the tool off the handle bar?
No, like so many other tools, that hole likely has nothing to do with hanging on a handle bar of a bike and was more likely part of the design, pure and simple, or the manufacturing process, or have some other possible use. 
For one thing, it's pocket size.......... also why have it swinging hanging on a handle bar only to wear the finish off the handle bar.
I would bet the use on bikes was something that was mentioned by someone way back - on the web, and simply got copied around.
could be wrong - but the support for it being a bike tool is thin at best. Seriously? - remove a grip to get the tool off the handle bar? Right.
And if like many bicycle owners 100 years ago, you likely had a horn or bell clamped onto the handle bars......... 

The Ford wrench has an interesting shape to the end of the handle - it's not rounded at the end like expected, it's got a square end at the end of the handle. 
That wrench is in EXCELLENT shape, a lot of black color left on it. 
If I recall correctly, Dad had it in the house all these years inside a tool box stuck in the bottom of a hall closet, rarely dragged out and used. 

I grabbed the tool box because it had his plane and a few other tools I recall from childhood that I watched him use - - the large wood handle on the plane was broken and taped but I removed the tape and goo and used good glue to put it back together and refinished it a bit and the plane is like new other than seeing that crack in the wood handle I fixed. 

Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2018 at 5:31am
There are dies that fit in the hole in the handle, and the jaws can be used in a ratcheting motion on a tap, useful in hard to reach areas.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2018 at 10:53pm
The top one is a Ford Model T 1926 - adjustable wrench and the square end was to remove the plug for checking grease in the rear end. It was also used for Model A's, same purpose.
The bottom one is an Elgin adjustable alligator wrench produced into the late 1920's.
Nice pieces.
RADAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RADAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 11:10am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

We always called the top one a Monkey Wrench

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Monkey_and_Stillson_wrenches.png

Edited by RADAMX - Aug/31/2018 at 11:14am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic