TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Javelin IFS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Javelin IFS
    Posted: Aug/21/2018 at 5:00pm
There's been some guys asking about the Fatman Fabrication IFS I put under my car and I went with Fatman for 2 reasons, one for price (it's about half) and the other is it allowed me to remove the inner fenders which you can't do with Control freaks. The big difference between the two is you can bolt in the Control freaks but there's a bunch of welding and fabrication with the Fatman unit. Putting the Fatman unit in is not for the faint of heart!
Brent and I discussed doing a strut type front end since the big body Javelin is similar to the same era Fords for which he makes them for already. I wasn't willing to wait for him to design one, plus as I said earlier, I wanted to take out the inner fenders and towers. Take a look at this setup and see what you think. http://www.fatmanfab.com/product/1964-%c2%bd-1966-ford-mustang-strut-ifs-conversion-kit
I'm pretty sure that he's willing to design it if there's a couple of people interested so my suggestion is to contact them about the possibility of doing it. I think it would make another good option to Control freaks because it bolts in. I've seen their setup and it's really nice but it's also really pricey IMO especially if you want power steering. I'm not a fan of Wilwood brakes which aren't cheap either.

A guy I work with is planning on doing this in his Ford Fairlane this winter. He's figured it up and can it for less than $3k which isn't to bad and it's a bolt in.

Just thought I would throw this out there.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Scrapdaddy Sr. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrapdaddy Sr. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 11:26am
Al at Control Freaks purposely built and designed their front suspension kits to allow AMC vehicles go back to factory original if desired. The "bolt in kits" they provide allow for restoration of the AMC car if deemed necessary for resale value. Granted you cannot remove the entire shock tower and inner fender well do to the upper CF control a arms are designed to utilize the original mounting points of the factory upper control arm. But if a person is adventurous enough to completely remove the inner fender wells and shock towers I don't see why with that skill lever needed to do so they could not creat mounting brackets to support the upper control arm/coil over mount. Beyond that everything else could essentially be removed and/or replaced.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2018 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Scrapdaddy Sr. Scrapdaddy Sr. wrote:

Al at Control Freaks purposely built and designed their front suspension kits to allow AMC vehicles go back to factory original if desired. The "bolt in kits" they provide allow for restoration of the AMC car if deemed necessary for resale value.

No offense but that's laughable at best. If a Control Freaks setup drives like mine, nobody in their right mind would switch back to stock suspension! LOL  I had done a lot of upgrades to mine including a quick ratio box and it comes nowhere close to the way it drives and rides now. Bolt in kits are for people that can't weld.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic