TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'70 AMX Door Seals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Someassemblyrqd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '70 AMX Door Seals
    Posted: Aug/11/2018 at 7:08pm
recommended vendor for high quality door seal set? The set I have causes the bottom of the door to warp outward, and is too thick at the firewall door jam which won't allow to the door to close without forcing in shut. Or are they all like this, from the same single vendor. AMARK doesn’t carry, AMC Live carries the same part number as what I have.

Just another PITA in the build process. thx Greg

Edited by Someassemblyrqd - Aug/11/2018 at 7:28pm
Greg E.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2018 at 12:47am
Greg, I sent you a PM with some information....
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 12:51pm
I've used Metro Molded door seals on 3 1968 AMX's and a 69 Javelin, all with no problems other than having to glue the end caps in place. If you look closely at 68-74 Jav/AMX doors, you'll find that over time, they all tend to push out at the lower half of the door below the latch. I had a 68 Rebel 2 door many, many moons ago with the same issue. I took it to the local AMC dealer in Phoenix, their body man showed me how to adjust AMC doors. He put a 2X4 wrapped with a shop rag in the upper door jamb (above the latch), then slammed the door several times! Removed the 2X4 and the door was aligned perfectly along the latch side. I use a slightly less crude method, but still you have to use a good bit of force to tweak the door structure back to it's original fit. I usually just put my leg against the lower door and pull outward on the upper part of the door until the door is aligned. It wouldn't hurt to be over 6' tall and over 200 lbs to do this, it takes a lot of force to re-bend a door. Of course, you need to make sure the hinge side is aligned first, as it doesn't move with this AMC approved door alignment procedure. Just ask any Javelin/AMX owner how they adjust their doors. 
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2018 at 1:18pm
Yep, on the factory seal being pushed out... Metro does need the ends redone and can be made to look very close to factory.

I did a write up on making them fit and using the original metal mounting plates that were integral to the original seals.

It takes a wee bit of work but mostly patience. Had to move a couple of pin locations to stretch the seal around the door better. Seems that metro seals are about 1/2" too long at the door jam side.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2018 at 12:30am
I highly recommend metro molded good people to deal with and fast shipping
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2018 at 12:32am
There are many 2x4, towel and sledgehammer adjustments that can be done.
If you are careful the paint would not even crack.
Especially with wind noise around cowls, fenders and doors.
Goodluck,
Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic