TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rambler T5 conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rambler T5 conversion
    Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 10:28am
I followed tomj with the T5 conversion for the 196.
Tom used a Sach clutch disc for a 93 Mustang turbo 4 cyl. I found one from Brute Power
The disc does NOT fit the Rambler pressure plate. The pressure plate has a 4.75 inch hole for the disc.
The disc has a 5.3 inch  spring retainer plate on the pressure plate side.  I also had an Alfa Romero
disc to compare.  It is the same as the Mustang dimensions.
Looks like I am  going to re drill the flywheel for the Mustang pressure plate.
Question does anyone have a Sach disc to measure?

Nick

Edited by nickleone - Aug/09/2018 at 12:24pm
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 12:30pm
Is there a possibility that the mustang pressure plate will fit in the Rambler flywheel? I've done the T5 swap twice on early 232's, and I know the Mustang pressure plate will fit in that flywheel. Just needs to be drilled and tapped. Using the Mustang pressure plate means to can always get one.
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 12:54pm
tomj shows the Ford pressure plate against the Rambler flywheel. Yes a re drill will be needed.

Nick
nick
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2018 at 12:12am
i'm so sad i didn't measure the diameter of the spring disk of the Sachs disc. the only image i have of it is this:

my Sachs disc fit inside my Rambler pressure plate just fine. (no i didn't put it in backwards :-) but i recall nothing more.

almost! tape measure across the wrong side of the Sachs driven disc here:

maybe you can infer dimensions from this one.

FORD PRESSURE PLATE ON RAMBLER FLYWHEEL:

its sooooo tantalizingly close! like a 1/8" diameter difference. here's a pick of them lined up:

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2018 at 12:48am
ok there are some better pics of the Sachs disc on the 8" AMC pressure plate. from this page http://sr-ix.com/AMC/1961-Rambler-Roadster/transmission/T5research/index.html

sachs disc on amc 8". you can see that the sachs spring plate *just fits* in the AMC hole. i know that there are photos of the 8" PP with tape measure, so from that you can determine sachs spring plate diameter pretty close.

right below that image is this one, of the spring disc side of the sachs driven disc

i took a lot of pics and measurements, as it was a very tricky project. a 64-up car would be a lot easier. these early chassis are tough to work with. the rear motor mount business, i should have just eliminated it by using a later fully closed bell and fabricating a modern type "Tri poised power" type mount system off the back of the trans. i don't trust the strength of the open-bottom little bell for that, right where it needs stiffness from that heavy engine there's a big hole, and its only cast aluminum anyway. without thr whole shape there's a lot of stress on the bottom two ears.

that 'research' page has a lot of trivia and measurements. i didnt know how to organize it further so it is as it is.

nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2018 at 1:06pm
Tom,
When I get back from Speed Week I will get a SACH clutch locally.
SACH might STILL be building them with the small dia spring retainer.
News at 11.

Nick

nick
Modern Driveline View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modern Driveline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 10:28am
For those looking to convert clutches to accept a Ford T-5, Modern Driveline offers in house built clutches to do this along with the T-5 adapter plates.  feel free to contact us direct with questions.  208-453-9800

http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/Ford-T-5-to-AMC-Nash-Rambler-Adapter-plate-7p572.htm - http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/Ford-T-5-to-AMC-Nash-Rambler-Adapter-plate-7p572.htm

http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/Ford-T-5-to-AMC-Nash-Rambler-Adapter-plate-7p573.htm - http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/Ford-T-5-to-AMC-Nash-Rambler-Adapter-plate-7p573.htm

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Modern Driveline Modern Driveline wrote:

For those looking to convert clutches to accept a Ford T-5, Modern Driveline offers in house built clutches to do this along with the T-5 adapter plates.

the small diameter of the driven disc (so-called 8", closer to 8.5") is the issue and only for this one chassis and the oddball little bellhousing. for all other AMC apps the 9" clutch is a lot easier to find.

can MDL put together 8" driven discs?

and thanks so much for the dedication and the quality adapter! the T-5 really brought my car alive.

amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 7:46am
hi, I also have a Modern Driveline T5, with the custom shifter location, in my 77 Hornet AMX, and I love it! The only issue was that the splines on the input shaft did not go back far enough, but this was solved with MDL's 3/16" spacer plate.
thanks, gz
george z
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic