TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

installing coil springs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcshay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: installing coil springs
    Posted: Aug/06/2018 at 2:51pm
Where can I buy a spring compressor that woks on a 1968 amx I tried 4 different kinds they do not work
69BBBJav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBBJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2018 at 8:47pm
Amc vendor Galvin's should have the one's you need. I've bought 2 of them from them in the last year or so.
shopandsurf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shopandsurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2018 at 4:50am
It is more of a spring holder.  I bought a set from Gary (nickname is garyjav in the forum I believe).  You can search the forum for more info.  Here is a link to a site that explains things a little regarding spring removal.  Had to bring them to a local tire shop to compress the spring and remove the tool.

Edited by shopandsurf - Aug/07/2018 at 4:57am

1969 AMX 390 AT Go Pac Bittersweet
dcshay View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcshay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2018 at 6:10am
thanks
is there anywhere I can buy one already made
dcshay View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcshay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2018 at 6:11am
Gavin no longer has them
69BBBJav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBBJav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2018 at 9:16am
Try checking with Kennedy American or American Parts Depot. If not them, try contacting that Garyjav guy.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by dcshay dcshay wrote:

Gavin no longer has them

I,m in the process of placing an order now with Galvin's. Their website shows the spring compressor tool still available at $56.00, part # 10002. As stated it is a coil spring holder after using the weight of the car or an arbor press to compress the spring. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2018 at 6:25am
You can also use the weight of the car to compress the spring. Put the spring under the jacked up car, right where the "frame" bends up at the front floor board. There is a flat area there. Then let the car down on the spring. Only works with engine and trans in car, and that side tire off. As long as the spring is on a flat spot on the floor and flat under the car you're good to go. I have done this many times. In the unlikely even the spring did get loose it will be low on the floor/under the car where it will do the least damage.
Frank Swygert
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2018 at 11:35am
dcshay,
  I have a set of the AMC trunnion style spring retainers that I lend to any Forum member who requests them. Send me your mailing address, I'll send you the spring retainers, when you're done, send them back. They fit in a USPS medium flat rate box, currently less than $15. That's it. If you need info on how to use them, PM me and I'll send specific instructions. I (and several other Forum members) have used these tools on numerous Javelins, AMX's and Americans with no problems. Let me know what you need.

Terry Sumter
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
dcshay View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcshay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2018 at 8:43am
I would really like that
my address is
Stephen Shay
40 new st
new milford ct 06776
let me know where to send you the money. also I might need instruction on using them. also there is no engine in the car can I still use them? there is no weight at the front
thanks
dcshay@aol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic