TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T/A Racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T/A Racing
    Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 8:48am
The other reason the dipped sheetmetal parts, especially the roof, was to get the center of gravity lower.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Javelin_GT Javelin_GT wrote:

I read a story with the Penske Camaro's where they weighed the same car twice by switching the numbers.  So one car was legal and the other was not.  They just sent the legal car to inspection two times with each set numbers.  Not sure how true that is but that's the story.

That's mentioned in The Unfair Advantage; IIRC, the cars were legal weight even if acid dipped. Per Donohue, they did this because with the shell lighter they could add weight to the rear of the car for better balance. But they still met the required minimum weight.
I need to read it again as it's been years.
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2019 at 9:24pm
I read a story with the Penske Camaro's where they weighed the same car twice by switching the numbers.  So one car was legal and the other was not.  They just sent the legal car to inspection two times with each set numbers.  Not sure how true that is but that's the story.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2019 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by CHAR CHAR wrote:

Other than the rule book of the time, is there a collection of tech info/photos/how too's online or off on how to build one of these as a replica racer?  I bought a '72 Javelin SST to play with and keep me from thinking too hard about converting my '70 Boss 302 in a T/A car.  If I knew where one might show up at a show Id be up and take a million picts and measurements.

Talk to Wayne Davis, coloradoamx here on the forum.  He has a nearly perfect replica of the '71 Penske Javelin.  It was at the 2014 Kenosha homecoming.  It looked flawless to me in 2014, and he's been making it even more authentic as he goes. To my eyes it looks like Roger Penske himself prepped it. I think he's even had the engine built as close to the Traco original as possible.

Check this thread out:

Edited by CamJam - Dec/12/2019 at 9:25pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2019 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

Yeah. Mark Donohue did some sly things before 1971. In 1971 the rules changed . See Rule Book: 
Tires, wheels, suspension Rule 1, item d.

It wasn't a rules violation at the time.

Not like acid dipping sheetmetal components was anyway.

Can't remember if that was Ford or Dodge got caught doing that.

Penske did that too.  Donohue writes about it in his book.  One time they overdid it and had to put a vinyl roof on the car to hide the ripples in the sheet metal. When they took the car off the trailer everyone knew something was up, but they couldn't be sure just what.

My favorite was when they added legs to the fueling rig after the race had started to raise it way up in the air. The rules said nothing about the height so they'd found a loophole. Donohue said when he came into the pits for fuel it was like someone threw a couple bags of cement in the trunk.  As I recall that only lasted one race before the SCCA outlawed it.

Another good one was using engine vacuum to retract the brake calipers. They had to change brakes during a race in those days and it cut the replacement time way down.  Took the competition a few races to figure out how they were changing brake pads so quickly. LOL

I worked on the Indy Car circuit for a few years.  Some of the AJ Foyt stories I heard from old timers were unbelievable, lol.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 7:56pm
Maybe Kenosha Homecoming 2020 is in your future. Might get lucky and #6 Javelin will exhibit again. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
CHAR View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 5:58pm
Other than the rule book of the time, is there a collection of tech info/photos/how too's online or off on how to build one of these as a replica racer?  I bought a '72 Javelin SST to play with and keep me from thinking too hard about converting my '70 Boss 302 in a T/A car.  If I knew where one might show up at a show Id be up and take a million picts and measurements.
72 Javelin SST P code 360/auto/AC/rear defrost /Go Pack/Polar White w blue cord interior.
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 4:40pm
I'll start a post if and when I get started. Got all the parts, short on time. Why is it the older we get the less time we have? I've had it for a couple of years now, don't know if I'll get started on it next year or not. I start it every couple of months and drive it down our private road to keep the brakes free and everything moving Sitting on the bead spread I have folded up on the floor makes the 4 speed a bit of a challenge. Happy Holidays
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 1:36pm
Dodge race team manager acid-dipped the1970 Challenger body. The roof collapsed on Sam Posey's head during a race. Too long in the acid bath? LOL
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

Yeah. Mark Donohue did some sly things before 1971. In 1971 the rules changed . See Rule Book: 
Tires, wheels, suspension Rule 1, item d.

It wasn't a rules violation at the time.

Not like acid dipping sheetmetal components was anyway.

Can't remember if that was Ford or Dodge got caught doing that.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic