TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 amx woodgrain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 amx woodgrain
    Posted: Jul/23/2019 at 11:59am
I avoided all the issues of repops and the cost of restoring to the original wood grain dash in the White70.

I removed the wood grain with some elbow grease and replaced it with a 3M product called Dinoc.
The car has received many admiring comments about the dash.

I know it's not factory, I'm not interested in going to an AMO show trying to win top dog award, I  like to drive the car and go to cruise ins mostly.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
bvpotash1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvpotash1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 9:36pm
Many years ago before AMark made his reproductions I investigated making my own. AMC wood grain is unique. I bought an NOS auto console cover the largest piece of AMC wood grain available. A local company that makes wraps for city buses has a very large printer for vinal. They had a very high end scanner. They scanned the console and photo shopped that scan together and printed 3' sections for me on 3M vinal. It would have been enough for a complete interior. The set up / scan was $100.00. The vinal was $50.00 but it was the end of that roll.  They only had had thick vinal used for the buses. I was going to have more printed but they ran out of the thin vinal. I needed to purchase a roll at $500.00. I had over 2 year of investigation into this project and then AMark came out with his perfect reproductions. I sold the wood grain and bought a complete interior from AMark. Best $1200 I ever spent.
mata-red View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mata-red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 6:50pm
Just a bit of info to think about.Take a look at the woodgrain parts in a '69 amx or SST Javelin.You'll notice that none of the parts match as far as woodgrain goes or color.In manufacturing the lowest bid wins and I'm sure there were alot of vendors that supplied AMC as well as other car companies.So that explains the variations I'm restoring the 'woodgrain 69 center dash pads as well as the armrest pieces.I'm using the same pattern on all pieces so that they match. My work is on a couple of the AMX Facebook pages. 
Bill F View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 2:18pm
bought one a while ago but haven't fit it to the dash.  Not to that point in my project.  It looks ok color wise. Certainly better that my scratched up original one.
Bill Frazer
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 12:57pm
All i need is the overlay too. How does the PG fit? 
DHACKING View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHACKING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 11:36am
I think his prices are more than reasonable myself
RAYMON H
DHACKING View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHACKING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 11:33am
i have a pg classic set for a/c just not for rally pac....the pattern is the same but slightly lighter in color
RAYMON H
DHACKING View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHACKING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 11:31am
I BELIEVE the plastic backing is all the same but may be wrong....all I need is the woodgrain with the 4 holes
RAYMON H
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2019 at 11:29am
The plastic backing wouldn't be difficult as there are currently 3D printers that will print a 20 ft long object. Several full scale Cobra replicas have been 3D printed.
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 12:54pm
Did anyone ever see one of those PG Classic overlays in person? Anybody ever try one or seen one on a car?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic