TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

timing a locked msd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hohner0006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: timing a locked msd
    Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 9:45pm
I have an MSD dizzy that I locked out and am ready to put in my race only 360. I am using a stock balancer (yet) and am new to a locked dist.  My question is just how do I set the timing? I have a digital timing light (new, never used) and am looking for a step by step walk thru so I can do it right the first time.  
 So, if I understand what i can find online, I install dist and start motor...let it warm up then get the timing mark to 0 and zero timing light. then advance dist until it reads 32-36 degrees advance and tighten the holddown and I'm done... Sound right? 

BTW..Motor is a 30 over 360 with 343 pistons, MSD dist and 7al2 box, mild hyd cam, ported heads, headers, performer intake, predator carb, 3500 stall, 4:11 gears, 33" tires, and running vp 113 fuel...in a 2700# cj7 4x4 running 150' mud drags.

Thanks in advance!
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 10:24pm
With a locked distributor, all you can set is total advance, i.e. the 32-36 degrees total or whatever else your engine needs. You may need to add additional timing marks to the balancer to measure this or use a dial back timing light. There is no initial and total advance to set only total. The only issue you might run into is that it may be hard to start with that much advance.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2018 at 4:14pm
Use a flexible measuring tape like a cloth sewing measuring tape
and measure the outside circumference of your Dampener Balancer.
Divide that total circumference by 10 and mark your Dampener with a white line
at that 1/10 circumference distance from the original "0" groove / line.
That new line represents 36 degrees of timing advance.
Correctly install your locked out Distributor, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.
Use a regular Timing Light to line up your New 36 Deg Mark and the Pointer "0".
Snug the Distributor Clamp, re-check timing, and you're locked in at 36 deg Advance.
Yes, may be hard to start hot, may need to install a Start Retard electronic box...
hohner0006 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hohner0006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2018 at 6:33pm
Thanks guys!
 I have a switch panel that will let me get the motor rolling before I turn on the ignition so I am hoping that is enough....otherwise I'll be installing a timing retard device.

Edited by hohner0006 - Jul/12/2018 at 6:36pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hohner0006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 10:03pm
PHAT69AMX,  Does 2 1/8" sound right? 21 3/8" diameter/10 = 2.137 comes out to 2 1/8...
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 7:18pm
21-3/8" circumference is equal to 6.80 inch diameter, or 6-3/4" to 6-13/16" diameter.
21-3/8 inch circumference I guess is correct, I have no parts on-hand any more...
Yes, 2-1/8 inch ( same as 2-8/64" ) is pretty dang gone close to 2.138 = 1/10th of 21-3/8"
and 2-9/64 inches is 2.140 inches, yeah plenty close enough for the application...
I fail to remember which way from the existing dampener zero groove you go the 2-1/8"... CW or CCW...
I got spoiled, have a Dial-Back Timing Light so set it on 36 degrees and line up the stock 0 marks...
Missed the last post for a couple days, hope it's running good...
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hohner0006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 8:09pm
I marked it 2 1/8 before the original mark (CW) and set the mark to the zero pointer and it runs hard, stays relatively cool and starts easier than I thought it might. Thanks again!!
mpowerptg View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpowerptg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 10:46am
with locked timing I would use a MSD starter saver, not much money and they work great
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic