TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

bendix ?????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditdit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bendix ?????
    Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 2:17am
I have been told that there are 2 bendix's used for most AMC/Ford type starters ,one has 9 teeth and the other has 10 teeth  ,  my question is witch one is for the V-8 engine ,  I think I may have a wrong starter in my V-8 as when it starts it sounds like an organ grinder.any help please
1968 AMX 401/727
1984 Eagle 4.0 org owner
1988 Eagle (time machine)
1980 Jeep J10 (under restoration)                 Carolina AMC (Senior Member)
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 9:56am
Well if you go on the Rockauto site and for example for a 68 AMX 390 they list an srk 100 drive and the picture shows 9 teeth the way I count them. Other than than I know nothing about how many teeth it should have.  
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 11:26am
AMC should be 9 tooth and you have to watch the engagement throw. AMC should be 0.930" - this is from memory so should be checked, some Ford's have only a 0.750" to 0.780" throw and will grind on an AMC every time.
Some suppliers are selling Ford starters (which the body and shaft are) as AMC's.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 12:32pm
The piece the starter fork goes over is installed OPPOSITE the way they are on FORD.
Be careful - 

The piece I point to here is normally flipped on Ford (although there could be some ford that use this - I've not seen one personally) - this is the AMC way - 

I may have a couple I could grab part numbers from.

DO NOT EVER BUY REMANUFACTURED drives. Please be sure they specific NEW. New is much more expensive but I have had a greater than 50% fail rate on reman drives so I stopped using them years ago - decades ago, in fact.

(I repair and restore AMC starters so try to have at least 3 or 4 correct new drives on hand for use on those I restore for others)

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by ditdit ditdit wrote:

I have been told that there are 2 bendix's used for most AMC/Ford type starters ,one has 9 teeth and the other has 10 teeth  ,  my question is witch one is for the V-8 engine ,  I think I may have a wrong starter in my V-8 as when it starts it sounds like an organ grinder.any help please

You didn't say if it was a reman, or has been repaired, etc. - if it's an original AMC starter there will be a number in the starter frame. Later ones used a decal with the AMC number on it.
Otherwise, if a reman, chances are it's made of Ford starter parts (meaning starters made for and installed on Fords) with "will fit AMC" type drive and end on it. 

If you have some numbers, I may be able to check as those starters for AMC had specific numbers cast into the drive end (the cast aluminum part)
ditdit View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditdit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 8:32pm
thanks guys ,I will take the starter off of the AMX and get back to you all again tks 
1968 AMX 401/727
1984 Eagle 4.0 org owner
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 11:31pm
believe it or not in my 290 4spd I used a 77 Fairmont 6cyl starter and had no issues with grinding I used it because of terminal location and header clearance
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
ditdit View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditdit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/12/2018 at 5:29pm
thanks for the info .

jim
1968 AMX 401/727
1984 Eagle 4.0 org owner
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic