TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

PC7 Epoxy for Window Glass?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC7 Epoxy for Window Glass?
    Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 3:30pm
Anyone used PC7 epoxy to glue the side glass into the shoes?  I previously used 3M Window Weld urethane, but it seems to have too much give, making it easier for the side windows to pop out of the rubber seal at speed.  Just wondering how the PC7 will hold up over time?
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 9:31am
If you read the original road tests, the cars did this when new; this was a common complaint. PPG used a rigid glue/epoxy to hold the OE glass in the shoes, so I'm not sure PC-7 will eliminate this issue. Even with a good bond, the glass still moves in /out if you roll it up half way and push and pull on it- it has to.

I worked in an auto glass factory years ago and we used some type of silicone that was heat/humidity cured- I'm sure it was not as good as the 3M stuff.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 11:55am
Thanks for the response, Steve. Yes, I've read those road tests and am well aware of the original window mechanism design limitations, have spent literally days last year trying to fix the high-speed "gap" issue. I did improve on it a lot. While most of the movement is in the mechanism itself, any flexibility in the glue that allows side-to-side movement will only make it worse.  That's why I've decided to try something stiffer than Window Weld when I replace my scratched side glass.  

Mostly I'm concerned with how well PC7 withstands the heat/cold cycles inherent with being inside a vehicle.  Just the look & feel of It seems very similar to what AMC used originally.  Of course we know that stuff did let go sometimes, but I doubt my car will ever again see the type of service it went though in its first 30 years or so. 

Also, the repop glass I'm installing has holes at the bottom.  No instructions were provided, but I assume it's meant to allow you to drill holes in the shoes and put nylon bolts through the glass, similar to what AMC did on the 71-74 Javelin. 

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 9:49pm
Looks like I answered my own question.  I had forgotten that one of the shoes on my driver's side was already glued with PC-7.  I took it out of the door today to replace the glass, and the PC-7 shoe has held up very well. In fact, I had to use a 3" cutting tool to break it loose.

For those considering replacing their 2-seater door glass, the glass I got from Galvin's is "Paragon" brand. Kennedy American sells the same brand.  It looks good, and it's made in Ohio! The only dimensional difference I can see is that it has about 3 degrees less top to bottom curve, so you need to allow for that and tilt the glass in a little further when you glue the glass into the shoe.  I measured the angle at the top of my old glass compared to the shoes, and when I glue in the new glass I'll be sure to maintain those angles.  

Edited by CamJam - Jun/12/2018 at 10:47pm

BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 9:38pm
I have those windows and no matter what You do for adjusting, they do not fit.

1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 9:32pm

See the "Early AMX Door Glass" thread that's on the board right now.  I understand that repop glass sucked in the past.  I just installed the Paragon side glass currently sold by Galvin's and Kennedy, and it fits just fine. as I have detailed there.

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 6:33pm
Not that it matters but long long ago about 1985 or 86 long before the internet
I used hardware store clear silicone from a "toothpaste tube" to re-glue both of my
original Tinted Windows back into the Shoes and it is still going strong in 2018...
or at least so the current owner tells me...
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 9:14pm
Cam.....I use pc-7 exclusively for all my windows.  It works great.  No flex.  I use short pieces of popsicle sticks to center the glass in the track.  Before gluing I use a Dremel to to scuff up the glass in the bonding area to ensure good adhesion.  Rock solid installation. Forget the bolts....won't need them.   My glass stays put at over 100 mph.  Any questions, just ask.  My window fit is as good as it gets. Go with it.  Don

Edited by turbo - Jun/15/2018 at 9:18pm
they call me Capt RETIRED!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2018 at 10:51pm

Thanks, Don!  I forgot that I had used PC-7 on one shoe previously, and it held great, so I went ahead and glued the new glass in with it, and you're right.  Rock solid.  First time I have not had any problem with the glass popping out at speed. 

I think the 3M Windo-Weld (which was used previously in three of my four window shoes) has a bit too much flex for this application.

turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2018 at 6:00am
Obviously exact placement is critical because it's NEVER coming out again in one piece.
they call me Capt RETIRED!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic