TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Undercoating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Undercoating
    Posted: Jun/25/2018 at 5:31pm
Nice car. If you undercoat, be careful that you don't close or obstruct any drain passages. Some are not easy to pick out without good lighting.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2018 at 2:04pm
Maybe consider using Fluid Film...
fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 7:36am
that is a really nice looking car and yes it should be shown for sure.  don't hide it  show it.

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 10:45pm
that is a nice looking car just take it to shows and enjoy it and the complements you get on it to
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 8:00pm
Nice looking Ambo.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 7:51pm
I got the original wheels and covers on it now. Pretty sure everything else is stock but I’ll have to take a closer look. Just have to polish it up now.

Took way too many woodworking classes in high school. Should have picked up at least one auto mechanic course instead.
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 12:49pm
I drive a 97 4runner and it has been undercoated every year and it's still rust free. The stuff does work, I swear by it. I just wasn't sure about a collector vehicle. 

Thanks for the replies. I got the stock wheels on it last week and it looks a lot better. Those rims were 15's so the wheel cover wouldn't fit. 

I'll take a picture and post it when I get one. 
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 6:52am
When my daughter bought a new car in Ontario they said that if there was only one thing she should do it would be the undercoating. She's still driving it after 8 years and for sure the undercoating has helped preserve the car.

Mine has some rust I plan on getting to after all the years on Vancouver streets but on the sound areas I have brushed on a mixture of used engine oil and Tremclad (Rustoleum).
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 6:24am
It would still likely get an award at an AMO show. They base awards on points, not comparison with other cars. So take it to an AMO show to be judged (you do have to be a member...). You can request a copy of the judging sheet a few days after the show. You can see how many points were deducted for certain things and improve them for subsequent shows. It's a good looking car. There are stock and non-stock categories. With the non-stock wheels (stock wheel covers will fit on those steel wheels though) and a few other mods you might want to go non-stock. Since you're not competing against other cars you could still get a bronze (bronze/silver/gold) in the Junior division. Everyone starts in Junior, then go to Senior, and finally American Cup. More points are needed to get an award in each. Once you attain a certain number of points or get a Gold in the division you're in you move up to the next division.

Even if you don't register for judging your car is certainly good enough to display! Let people see what a Rambler is at the local shows too. A car doesn't have to be perfect to show off. Often the less than perfect cars get as much or more attention than the obvious show cars and garage/trailer queens.
Frank Swygert
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 9:04pm
Thanks for the info. I won’t be going to the nationals lol, I don’t even know if I’d go to a local show. It’s not that nice of car, just a good clean body and I’d like to keep it that way.

Here’s a picture of late last fall when I got it. I’ve now changed the wheels to factory. It needs a good clay bar and wax....and possibly undercoating.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic