TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX trunnion rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX trunnion rebuild
    Posted: May/26/2018 at 8:27pm
Is there any one on the forum who restores AMX trunnions: bearings bushings, media blast, paint, "The full Monty" Prefer rubber bushings and getting back my original cores. 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 9:40pm
The only way I know to get the correct bushings is to order part # 15758 from a company called rare parts. They used to do them on a exchange basis. It's been a long time since I got them, but I happen the think that the correct OEM style vertical is important. They weren't cheap as I recall, maybe $200-$250 each? I can't remember.
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 2:03pm
PM sent

If you need trunnion-style spring retainers for removing early AMX trunnions/springs, mine are free to loan to Forum members and just a PM away.

Terry
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 2:49pm
Thanks for the offer. The engine was just rebuilt and not in the car. Transmission is on the floor. So the factory style spring retainers won't help. I rounded up the parts to make a spring compressor/decompressor:  3/4" threaded rod, huge 3/4" nuts, 3/8" x 1" flat steel, 3/4" pipe to go up and down the rod, 9/16" grade 5  or better bolts to fit in the saddle, and 6" i.d. steel pipe 6" long to be cut length-wise for containment wings, welding rod and ac/dc Lincoln welder. Feel like I'm on a suicide mission. Maybe wear a full face helmet and body armor from "Knights of the Round Table" when compressing the springs and installing them. LOL
hornytoad View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hornytoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 7:14pm
to get springs out jack up right rear to take out left front , jack up left rear to take out right front. The top and bottom spring cups have a hole on each side wire these together and take spring out. We compressed the new springs on my 4/4 Scout frame .

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 8:41pm
Toad, To do it the way you suggested requires the engine be in the car.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic