TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

blower motor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: blower motor
    Posted: May/17/2018 at 11:44pm
Finding more issues as I progress. I retained the 2 wire motor but now I'm using a heater panel from a '67-69' that has two fan positions. I'm guessing that the old two wire is a one speed motor. I have a later 2 wire motor that's marked orange wire + and black wire +. Guessing the case is grounded through the mounting bolts. Not sure if the squirrel cage is the same diameter as the '65 cage. the later one is 5 1/4" in diameter. Any blower motor guys out there?
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
knightflight View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 11:45pm
Blower motors are not grounded through the case. If you have a one wire motor, it is a single speed motor, but not a single speed system. You will have a resistor in the system that determines the motor speed. It can be two or three speed depending on the set up. a black wire means. Generally, a black wire is ground and a colored wire is hot...BUT, some motors are reversable and you can switch the wires and it will spin the other direction...Still with me?
If it is reversable, you have to be sure you run the correct rotation with the motor, otherwise the motor will blow air, but only slightly and you will think a heat door is shut or something. A three wire motor means that the motor has two speeds not using a resistor system, there again possibly reversable. Look at your system, squirrel cage rotation, and wiring. Your system sounds like it uses a resistor in the heater box to regulate speed.
You neglected to mention what you are working on, so I gave you the whole rundown!
Walt

'68 Rebel SST coupe. (X2)
'69 SC/Rambler (#7 on registry)
'69 Javelin SST Go-Pak 390-4 speed
'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
'72 Javelin AMX 360 ram-air
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 11:54pm
ait's a '65 American wagon. The b/m is original to the car as is the heater box.I'm using a heater control panel from a '69 American. It has two fan positions. I don't see anyplace to mount a resistor on the heater box and my searching found resistors that mount to the box. I guess that's to keep the resistor coil from overheating. 
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
knightflight View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 12:16am
I'm trying to remember, but I thought those cars were wired the same. Do you not have the '65 control panel and switch to compare the wiring set up? Yes, the resistors are mounted in the blower box to get the air blowing from the blower motor to keep them cool.
If you don't get it figured out, let me know later as I think about any difference in those two.
Walt

'68 Rebel SST coupe. (X2)
'69 SC/Rambler (#7 on registry)
'69 Javelin SST Go-Pak 390-4 speed
'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
'72 Javelin AMX 360 ram-air
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 1:34am
I took this car apart about 10 years ago and if I remember correctly the resistor was on the outside firewall inside the engine compartment
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 12:50pm
Yes some were outside on the firewall, Javelin/AMX for example, it was mounted above the blower itself. 
The switch wires came out to the resistor and a wire from the common lead off the resistor went to the blower motor. 
Blower motors are grounded - but in the car they don't ground via the case. They have a wire that goes to a ground. 
The + lead may be orange or white, etc And beware that just because you got a car with xxxx blower motor doesn't mean AMC put it there - often when the went south people replaced them with "will-fit" models.

I can always look in a TSM to get the details as far as resistor, placement, etc. - if needed.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 8:26pm
I think I'm OK now. Found a firewall mount resistor and made a 3 wire pigtail from a 5 wire from a 1986 Eagle harness ( Sometimes it's good holding on to something just in case). Thanks for your help. Now to work on the heater valve .
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
Ruby loye View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby loye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 1:23am
I have a 65 that has a two speed set up, but only the high speed works. I'm sure the switch just needs cleaning, but when I want the window defrost I want to use the high speed anyway so bigger fish to fry.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 12:25pm
I see the problem - frying fish will indeed fog up the inside of the windows. Try baking them in foil on the manifolds instead.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 12:40pm
And a lot of air freshener
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic