TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pacer wagon exterior woodgrain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwrpacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pacer wagon exterior woodgrain
    Posted: May/17/2018 at 4:57pm
Can anyone recommend what to use on the Pacer station wagon body woodgrain to preserve it and make it shiney. The vinyl is original and in very good condition. Thanks
knightflight View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2018 at 11:50pm
I would say any good vinyl treatment like Meguire's, or STP Son of a Gun type stuff. That is all vinyl preservative meant for that kind of protection and shine.
Walt

'68 Rebel SST coupe. (X2)
'69 SC/Rambler (#7 on registry)
'69 Javelin SST Go-Pak 390-4 speed
'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
'72 Javelin AMX 360 ram-air
bwrpacer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwrpacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 6:43pm
Walt, thanks I did not know if those products would work if they were exposed to water or sunlight when usually they are used on interior vinyl parts. I do use armorall on the seats dash board etc.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 11:44pm
If you have it, sometimes the owners manual would address that and recommend what to do..
Walt

'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
bwrpacer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwrpacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 6:34pm
Got the owner's manual out. Here's what it says...woodgrain panels and exterior tape stripes are made of vinyl and are applied over the finish with a special applique process. Use special care in cleaning or polishing such areas. Not much information from the AMC manual.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 8:37pm
Well, it does say polish it, so.....?

'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 9:44pm
Try cleaning a small area with varsol or mineral spirits - same thing, this will not damage the vinyl. If this takes off the dirt, oxidized film, old waxes, then continue on.
After it is all clean and looking near new I'd try Meguiar's ultimate finish or similar product the you can just quickly wipe on every couple of weeks. This protects for a time but will wash or oxidize off which is really what you want to happen.
Waxes build up and some may soak into the vinyl "grain" - you don't want that, fades and oxidizes.
Armorall I have not been personally pleased with for exterior - builds a gummy residue that grime seems to stick to over time.
Vinyl cleaners are usually made for interiors and again may soak into your vinyl - don't want that on the exterior.
My woody Pacer, Cherokee Chief, Trans-AM  all had vinyl on the exterior and once every year got a cleaning with mineral spirits. Won't hurt the paint either.
But test a small area first, you don't know what has been put on before! 
bwrpacer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwrpacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 4:06pm
Thanks for the tips. I will try the mineral spirits and mequires. There isn't much oxodation but the tailgate woodgrain is duller in appearance than the side woodgrain. The car has not seen that much weather as it has been garaged almost all of it's life. I bought the car 5 years ago with 4400 miles on it.I a getting the car ready for a AACA Grand national meet and detailing it to be judged.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic