TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ratchet Shifters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arrugge1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ratchet Shifters
    Posted: May/14/2018 at 5:42pm
I have a Borg Warner M12 and would like to replace the stock shifter with a ratcheting shifter. Which one would you guys suggest?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 7:25pm
Billd has a mega shifter that he wants to sell... and i had installed one on my 73 Javelin and used it for a while.

Mega shifters are great, but it gets getting use to, as it is more complex in function than a stock shifter.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 7:34pm
Not really nice for a street car unless setup and adjusted properly.

I already sold mine - in fact it hadn't been out of the car even a week and it was spoken for.

Just my opinion - not sure they are worth it on a BW - but then you have the gee-whiz, whiz-bang, golly that's cool factor working with 'em.
IMO, and my opinion is worth what you paid - it's more for a built automatic that has true first and second gears and you shift it manually.
That's just my thinking. 
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 8:21pm
I remember Ken Parkman did it for some one, and from what he said,its ALOT of aggrievation, and He pretty much said never again... Unless it's made for a specific transmission, I would just keep the stock shifter. I am not really a fan of anything B&M. (I have the one Hurst autostick, and I am using it in my drag car)..
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 9:24pm
I modified the stock shifter to work better with a full manual valve body. You may have to do a bit of adaptation to get the aftermarket shifter to work with the BW trans.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 10:52pm
dunno about M12, but M35, the spacing between P and the other gear detents was not the same. torqueflite they're all equal-spaced, but not the little Borg Warner. you can probably guess how i figured that out.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

arrugge1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arrugge1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 10:20am
Thank you for all of the advice. I think Iā€™m going to skip this modification and leave the stock shifter in place. šŸ‘šŸ»
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 6:45pm
I had a B&M ratchet shifter in my Jeep. It wore out but not until it was 30 years old.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

dunno about M12, but M35, the spacing between P and the other gear detents was not the same. torqueflite they're all equal-spaced, but not the little Borg Warner. you can probably guess how i figured that out.

I'm still guessing.......... give me a little while...........  LOL
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 8:29am
Yeah it was a huge pain in the h***.

The guy had some ratchet shifter installed by a generic bolt together mechanic and it did not work. The brackets do not fit and the detent spacing is not right, so it was a dogs breakfast. He kept asking me to fix it and I kept saying no, use a stock shifter, and he finally wore me down. I kept saying you cannot pay someone to re-engineer something not designed to fit as the hours and cost is crazy. Things like that you have to do yourself, or be filthy rich.

So I had to re-route the cable, fabricate a new cable bracket, pull the tranny apart (valve body had to come out), calculate a new lever radius, make a new lever, put it back together, then do it all over again cause it was just not quite right first try.

In the end it seemed to work well and I hope it still does. He has not been back since I think the cost of that really peed him off. It took a lot of hours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic