TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Distributor Not Turning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 8:52am
You can get a rough check of gear alignment on assembly:
With a dab of grease put a ball bearing in the cam centering hole.
Blue the ball bearing end and trial fit the timing cover.
Through a valley hole move the cam forward to contact the cover.
Take the cover off and put a small center punch mark in the center of the blue mark.
With dividers scribe The OD of the cam gear on the cover.
Install the distributor and place the cam gear in location on a shim that centers the gear to the distributor shaft.
You will get a visual if there is something wrong, cover or gears.

The Anti Chrysler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anti Chrysler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 11:05am
Bronze distributor gears aren't for street use. They are sacrificial parts meant to be replaced after so many passes down the strip.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 7:15pm
So, an update after getting it all torn down today. Found a few brass slivers in the timing case but not a whole lot. I did find two things that I am suspect of.

First the cam gear seems to show a good bit of wear - and of course it wasn't caused by the brass gear so I suspect the gear is older than the brass distributor gear and of course were not matched at all. PO may have simply put a brass dizzy gear in without changing the cam gear.

Second item I found is a piece of the timing case that wraps the dizzy shaft is broken off. I suspect it may have been missing for some time as there was no evidence of aluminum pieces in the case and the break looks old. Also what might be a hairline crack on the inside of the hole the dizzy shaft slides through. The shaft still seems to fit tight but I don't like it.

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 7:54pm
Back to basics! Put on a regular timing chain cover, preferably one without cracks! Replace both cam and distributor gears, flush the engine and change the oil. Drive for the summer and see how it all seems. If it craps out, you were going to rebuild it anyway. If not, enjoy!

Maybe you dodged a bullet, since the brass gear is designed to be less damaging to the engine, so you may be ok. Either your oiling passages or the timing cover were to blame and since you are now obligated to deal with both, your problem will likely go away.

Chris
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 8:30pm
Exactly what I'm thinking. Waiting for Bulltear to give me info on the gears to get them ordered. Been searching tonight for a timing cover .... thought for sure I'd seen them for just over $100 but I'm finding them for $250 -$285... Summit carries one for $165 but the reviews indicate issues with the distributor hole size... and I don't need that headache. Looks like APD has the best prices on covers and gasket kits. I'll call Bulltear in the morning and see what they have for the gears. Their timing cover is about what Kennedy gets($285) and probably the same cover as APD sells for $250.
Once I get all the parts I'll run a couple gallons of K1 through the oil system to flush the pan some put it all together and see what happens.
Wish I could drop the oil pan to clean it up but its a 8 qt Milodon pan and I don't think it can be done with the engine in the car....

One of the timing covers I looked at tonight mentioned a pressed in fit oil pump shaft???? I did not think these shafts were pressed fit??
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 9:03pm
You could put up a wanted ad for a good used cover,
the newer ones are all suspect to me,
though I guess/hope they've improved them since when they were first introduced.

Bulltear is supposed to check the ones they sell for alignment,
so it might be worth it to get it from them if you have to go new.

A local AMC show would be a good place to find used covers,
if there's any around you,
or if there's any local AMC clubs nearby.

Good luck,
glad you got it figured out.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 9:17pm
I saw that on Bulltear about their 100% guarantee on fit. Might be worth paying a bit more for. I don't want to wait to find a used one, I need to get back running. Besides I get tired of trying to deal with people on used parts that want to get 80% of a new part price for some old junk... at least when there are other options.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 9:42pm
You have to remember that a used original cover that needs a little work is worth more than a crappy new cover that doesn't work. A good used cover that I have reconditioned would cost a bit more than a new one from china. We have had good luck with the newer Crown covers but I still check every one. You have to watch timing sets also because they can cause gear death also. Some sets have been coming in with thicker or off spec. stack height on the cam gear. This will move the drive gear out from the block and cause mesh issues also. Check everything.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 11:14pm
Need another "Good" replacement Timing Cover...
AND more importantly "GOOD STOCK" Cam & Distributor Gears... ?
Okay, asking $490 and there's "room to work with".... ya know...
Happen to be or know anyone anywhere near Roanoke, VA?... 

Or check this out, Eastern NC CraigsList,
AMC 360 V8 $100 - 600
AMC V8 Motor Parts and Pieces

Watson and Sons' Jeep Salvage
 Call or text     ( 252) 944-5526
7100 N Boyd Rd Pinetown NC

We have 25 Wagoneers, 12 J trucks, and 6 Chiefs we are parting out.
Lots of good pieces, let me know if you don't see what you need.
Parts sold as is and sales tax is included in the price.
We pull parts for you and can ship.

Or an AMC 304 dis-assembled Motor $425 asking Troutman NC....

*- BONUS -*
Maybe a good Stock AMC Delco Type DISTRIBUTOR & HOUSING to Re-Build, Re-Curve, Re-Fit, Re-Use...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - May/17/2018 at 1:26pm
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 9:07am
Anyone have experience / insight on the quality of the timing covers from APD?

I spoke with Bulltear this morning and apparently they no longer carry the distributor and cam gears.... Any recommendations on where to go for a set???? Are these Crown gears any good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic