TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Distributor Not Turning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 7:43am
If you replaced one or both dizzy gears that could be the issue. Need to be a matched set. I'd get one from Bulltear since they know AMC engines better than most and don't just sell whatever is on the market.

As long as the passages in the big timing gear line up with the oil passage on the cam (sometimes they don't, or there is casting flash in the groove on the timing gear) you should be fine as far as oiling. No oil line or hole in the plug behind the gear is necessary. Won't hurt if it makes you feel better... as long as line/hole aren't too big, could reduce overall oil pressure then. The stock oiling system should be fine, but as stated, the grooves in the timing gear don't always line up. Not sure if the cam companies or timing gear manufacturer aren't putting them in the right place, but easy to fix with a grinder.
Frank Swygert
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 8:58am
Engine was already built when I got it so not sure what was done but I was checking the paperwork I got with the car and it looks like a distributor gear was bought a year after the engine was built and it's an iron gear not a bronze gear as I thought. The papers show I have an Edlebrock hydraulic flat tappet cam and a year later a MSD iron distributor gear was bought - and presumable installed.....
Of course now the question is why was another gear installed a year after the engine build???

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 9:13am
You are absolutely right, it does not matter at this point what happens with distributor orientation! Yes, I feel a bit stupid.....

As for buying the new gear a year after the engine build, it does make one wonder. I would take off the timing cover and replace both gears and at the same time check the oiling passages. Also, there have been issues with new timing covers that may have contributed, so that is worth a look also.

Chris
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 5:01pm
The factory did not use brass distributor gears.
The MSD Ready to Run PRO Billet Dist. I put in the White70 has an iron gear. That distributor has well over 10K miles in the engine.
I bought a 2nd MSD Pro Billet RTR distributor for another engine. It came with an iron gear.

I wouldn't put a brass one on it.

Make sure the dist. fits properly and has free play. A gasket is required between the dist. and the timing case.

If you find the gear is gone, you might wish to check the oil pump too, as improper dist install will push the oil pump gears into the plate on the bottom of the pump.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 8:38pm
Well I got the dizzy out tonight and it doesn't look pretty. First off it "did" have a brass gear..... which is quite destroyed as you can see in the pictures.. My next problem is that I have a CSR electric water pump which also serves as the timing chain cover and it is being a female canine to get off.... I have all the bolts out but the damn thing is really glued on with sealant. Probably need to pull the radiator - tomorrow - to get some room to work and try to pry it off .... I'm afraid what I am going to find when I do...

Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 9:53pm
That sucks! If that happened to me no question the engine would come out for a teardown and clean up. If i'm reading this right this is the second gear to go in this engine, all that trash has gone through the bearings.
I put a MSD billet dist in my 401 about 10 years ago and compared the MSD gear to the oem one and the gear pitch is noticeably different I'm pretty sure its in my toolbox I'll post a pic of an oem one beside it its not even close.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 6:14am
The problem may just be a non-matched set of gears, but could very well be alignment of the timing cover. The cover aligns the dizzy to the cam gear, so if it's off it will continually chew up gears. The idea behind the bronze gear is it will "wear into" the cam gear. But it often doesn't. The problem is it's not easy to check gear alignment. Bulltear has a jig they use to check replacement timing covers, but I don't know how you could do it at home. Might be a way, maybe someone who knows can chime in. You might contact Bulltear and see if you could send it to them for checking, how much it would cost if they are willing.
Frank Swygert
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 7:51am
Since the receipts I have showed an iron gear was bought some time back but there was brass gear in it I really don't know how many times this gear has failed. May be the first or one of many. Until I get this darn water pump off I can't go further. I don't know what kind of sealant they used but it sure is stuck... I may wind up going ahead with a tear down of this thing. It burns oil pretty bad for a motor with less than 1500 miles on it and is not getting better so there must be something amiss. Not a great start to the 2018 cruise season. Its beginning to look like this year might be washed out (and expensive)..

Edited by Bandana - May/16/2018 at 7:59am
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 8:30am
I hear you on the washed out, expensive cruise seasons! You know, you could just pick up a timing chain cover, bag the electric water pump, replace the distributor gear and go enjoy the car. Plan for a tear down in the fall, buy the parts now and then enjoy the car for the summer.

I would definitely have that water pump cover checked, that may be your issue. It is basically either that or the oiling channels that are killing gears in your engine.

Good luck!

Chris
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 8:45am
That's  a possibility I guess. I really don't see a need for this electric pump. I don't need the little extra Hp they provide and would prefer an OEM style set up anyway. We'll see I guess, depends on what I find when I get it all opened up.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic