TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Distributor Not Turning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor Not Turning
    Posted: May/21/2018 at 6:53pm
Good read, thanks for posting. Ordered some distributor shims today - although I'm still not sure how tight to set this thing. Once they get here and my new cover gets here I'll start seeing how things line up and look. I am guessing that there is no set amount of clearance between the dizzy shaft and the oil pump drive shaft? Basically as long as they don't bind any - plus a bit for good measure?
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 3:36pm
Some good reading here on what to look for in a timing cover: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?p=1678711#post1678711
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 8:00am
I bought a set of Crown gears so we'll see I guess. They look pretty well machined. They were coated with some type of cosmoline or something and the cam gear in particular needed to have all of the holes and slots cleaned out good. I could see someone forgetting to do this causing oil flow issues.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 6:37am
Crown is the top supplier of Jeep parts, so they SHOULD be good... 
Frank Swygert
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2018 at 8:04am
Thanks for the pictures, yes they certainly do vary alot. I got all my parts ordered yesterday. Got a new timing cover from Bulltear (old one is for sale if anyone feels that chip is inconsequential). Went with the Crown gear set and Felpro gasket/seal kit from Summit.
I could not justify paying $120 for the MSD gear set while the Crown set was $29, especially without hearing any real push for the MSDs. Even the Tech at Summit felt the Crowns would be fine.
Got a bit of clean up to do on the front of the engine today and then I will try to look for any issues with the oiling passages. Then its a wait for parts to arrive - or more specifically the timing cover from Bulltear.....
Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 9:13pm

Here are some pics of 3 different sources of gears as to how different they can be. The first pic is an MSD on the left and an original on the right.
The second pic is another original on the left and the MSD on the right pictured end to end.
The last is another MSD on top and I believe a crown brand pictured end to end.
Pretty big differences in the pitch of the teeth and depth at the root, Mix any of the non oem dist gears with an original cam gear and it's a roll of the dice how it will end up.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

Anyone have experience / insight on the quality of the timing covers from APD?

I spoke with Bulltear this morning and apparently they no longer carry the distributor and cam gears.... Any recommendations on where to go for a set???? Are these Crown gears any good?

Lately folks have been using the MSD cam and dist gears with success.

I highly recommend taking off the timing set and inspecting the oiling pasages, aftermarket sets can have blocked or incorrectly placed oiling pasages. If that is the case even a good set of dist gears won't last too long.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 9:07am
Anyone have experience / insight on the quality of the timing covers from APD?

I spoke with Bulltear this morning and apparently they no longer carry the distributor and cam gears.... Any recommendations on where to go for a set???? Are these Crown gears any good?

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 11:14pm
Need another "Good" replacement Timing Cover...
AND more importantly "GOOD STOCK" Cam & Distributor Gears... ?
Okay, asking $490 and there's "room to work with".... ya know...
Happen to be or know anyone anywhere near Roanoke, VA?... 

Or check this out, Eastern NC CraigsList,
AMC 360 V8 $100 - 600
AMC V8 Motor Parts and Pieces

Watson and Sons' Jeep Salvage
 Call or text     ( 252) 944-5526
7100 N Boyd Rd Pinetown NC

We have 25 Wagoneers, 12 J trucks, and 6 Chiefs we are parting out.
Lots of good pieces, let me know if you don't see what you need.
Parts sold as is and sales tax is included in the price.
We pull parts for you and can ship.

Or an AMC 304 dis-assembled Motor $425 asking Troutman NC....

*- BONUS -*
Maybe a good Stock AMC Delco Type DISTRIBUTOR & HOUSING to Re-Build, Re-Curve, Re-Fit, Re-Use...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - May/17/2018 at 1:26pm
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 9:42pm
You have to remember that a used original cover that needs a little work is worth more than a crappy new cover that doesn't work. A good used cover that I have reconditioned would cost a bit more than a new one from china. We have had good luck with the newer Crown covers but I still check every one. You have to watch timing sets also because they can cause gear death also. Some sets have been coming in with thicker or off spec. stack height on the cam gear. This will move the drive gear out from the block and cause mesh issues also. Check everything.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic