TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

exhaust cost opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust cost opinions
    Posted: May/07/2018 at 6:14pm
Opinions are what I'm looking for, perhaps real-life examples, but I hope to keep it to like-systems so it's apples to apples, not comparing a muffler and tail pipe for a 6cyl American, for example......

I asked for a prelim "idea" for exhaust for my 73 Javelin. They shot me a couple of figures in a wide range and they were frankly shocking. OK, admittedly it's been YEARS since I had ANYONE else do even so much as a muffler on a car - come to think of it, can't even remember having that done..... but then I've always used stock, off-the-shelf parts that were made for the vehicles.....

Anyway, the car is of course the 73 Javelin with 360 - it currently has headers, collectors, 3" STRAIGHT pipes welded to the collectors, then back to Flowmaster super 40s, then dumps roughly by the rear axle (under the axle)

Plan - replace those huge city water pipes to raise the exhaust up off the road, have an H cross-over put in, and TAIL PIPES to take it out the rear, not dump it under the car.
(yeah after all the discussion, ideas and responses from my post on that topic, I have indeed been swayed to a cheaper H option, especially to keep the raspy sound out and make it sound more "muscle". Thanks for that.........)

They shot me a ROUGH idea "700-1,000 depending on mufflers" etc.
OUCH A grand for exhaust pipes? Really?
You'd think they'd have patterns on hand for the stock type tail pipes and be able to make those in a heartbeat, and the front pipes can't be that much different - a couple of angles to get more clearance and tuck them up so the exhaust can go up over the axles like stock pipes.

Mufflers - I'm torn - Flowmaster 40s - keep those or replace them - they were talking a hundred bucks PER MUFFLER for new mufflers. Really? Have decent mufflers really shot up that badly - to one hundred bucks a pop?
I guess that explains the range 700-1,000 in a way - use my mufflers or install new..

Isn't that a bit steep for a system collector to tail pipe??

The flowmaster "super 40s" don't have even ten thousand miles on 'em - the car hasn't logged that many miles since the guy put them under there, but maybe there are better or mufflers that would NOT cut power at all but still sound decent.

So what does anyone think of a grand for two pipes and mufflers going back to tail pipes?

I take it in tomorrow and they are going to actually LOOK at the car and LOOK and MEAsURE to give me a closer idea instead of a shot in the dark - but it it's that #$%%$# much money, #$%# it.

THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 7:07pm
Sounds like they are quoting a stainless steel exhaust system??

FYI, the normal everyday price on the stainless steel Flowmaster 40 series and Super 44's for 2.5" tubing are between $95. - $120. at Summit Racing (depending on configuration and length).   
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 7:15pm
Does that include exhaust tips Bill? I can't remember the actual number but IIRC mine was much lower than that.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 7:22pm
Quality systems using aluminized pipes can get up there and stainless is above that. Not sure about who offers a quality muffler any more now that the OEM Walkers, AP, Arvin, etc. no longer make systems for our cars.
I bought a full aluminized system for my AMX from Gardner about 5 years ago and with all the pieces it was about a grand IIRC. Looks and fits perfect though. All the right brackets and clamps.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

Sounds like they are quoting a stainless steel exhaust system??

FYI, the normal everyday price on the stainless steel Flowmaster 40 series and Super 44's for 2.5" tubing are between $95. - $120. at Summit Racing (depending on configuration and length).   

the guy the car came from called 'em "Flowmaster super 40s" if that matters..........

So then "about a hundred bucks" isn't too far off for some mufflers, then, eh?

Opinions on the Flowmaster, and in particular, the "super 40s"?

Stainless? Well I don't need stainless and I can't say the car is worth that. Too much hidden repairs, it's been fixed a lot. If it were my 70 I'd say yeah, that car is among the best of the best as far as body, STRAIGHTNESS, lack of rust, originality, LOW MILES and so on, but this car with 100,000 miles  - I can't see putting stainless under it. (but then I'm open to opinions, I DID ask, after-all!)

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Does that include exhaust tips Bill? I can't remember the actual number but IIRC mine was much lower than that.

Yeah, but Tony - I've watched the Canadian dollar against the U.S. dollar change a lot in the last few weeks HAHAHA.
Anyway, the price did shock me for sure............ I was almost speechless...... but then it seems someone else has responded that his system wasn't all that far from a grand.
I'd think for a cool grand, it should come with chrome tips with Pierre Cardin's signature on them.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 7:49pm
Fabricated or press bent and size of pipes will all have an impact on final price. Quality (i.e. name brand) mufflers are expensive. Templates from back in the day for 1 3/4" or 2" pipes may not work with larger pipes like 2.5". American Racing headers are $1,600 a set, so times have definitely changed.

Can always buy a few bends, a couple of lengths of pipe and crack out the welder.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 7:52pm
Not surprised that you got a ton of price ranges, Bill.  Some of the specialty exhaust shops charge thousands of dollars to give imports the specific pipes and fard can for just the right sound.

Personally, I'd keep it simple; Stainless (just so it doesn't rust out as fast) with flowmasters or similar.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 7:55pm
Well, like I say, it has been a while, so I have to temper my thoughts with that.

Need to go from collector to muffler, keep it as high as possible as the car REALLY sits low, then to mufflers, then tail pipes to take it out the back. Don't like it dropping out right under the axles.

And after prior discussion here, I've pretty much decided on the H type cross-over (cheaper than X and maybe better sound from what members here say)

Not sure if I keep and re-use the "Super 40s" or go something else while at it. Don't know squat about flowmaster, gotta be honest, been out of exhaust work for a long time. when I was doing it, I could pull any AMC pipe off the rack and the mufflers were perfect fits - Flowmaster likely didn't even EXIST?
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 8:02pm
something to consider bill is putting a separator connector in the pipes behind the trans.  that way if you have to drop the trans, you dont have to pull the entire system out.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic