TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rebel Machine Tail Light Housing Gender

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebel Machine Tail Light Housing Gender
    Posted: May/03/2018 at 9:29pm
A friend of mine is restoring his Machine, it's R/W/B so it's an earlier production car. I have a solid color car built in May of '70. His tail light housings have a male connector integrated into the plug that mounts in the trunk tail pan. Mine has a female connector, a section of wire then the plug that mounts in the trunk tail pan.

Was this a running change during the '70 model year production?

-Steve-
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 8:41am
Steve, this is the left tailight wiring from the trunk side on my RWB Machine (February build).  Is this what you are looking for or did I misunderstand your question?

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
madmax View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 3:46pm
just went thru this a while back on a couple of machines we did.
there are 2 different tail housings and plugs, one with a wire that extends into the trunk and one that does not. i dont have my parts manual handy but it was in there that there are 2 different ones. i dont remember which one was early.
m and h had to make us a harness from ours because they only had the pattern for one of them. they did show both in thier catalog just didnt have them then. they should have both harnesses available now.
American Heavy Metal

restoration parts and mechanical restoration services

70 amx black
1968 kaplan amx ss/racecar
1969 amx racecar
1970 trans am javelin
1969 amx white/platinum
1972 gremlin
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 4:06pm
Roger,

Is that the tail light wiring? Both sets of tail light wires on my car go through the tail pan in the center close to the trunk latch bracket.

Here's what mine looks like.

-Steve-

Edited by Rebel Machine - May/14/2018 at 4:10pm
madmax View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 4:13pm
i think roger showed the side marker lamp wiring. 

American Heavy Metal

restoration parts and mechanical restoration services

70 amx black
1968 kaplan amx ss/racecar
1969 amx racecar
1970 trans am javelin
1969 amx white/platinum
1972 gremlin
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2018 at 10:13pm
Steve, I understand now better what is being asked.  Here is what my trunk looks like.  The wiring in the trunk has the female connector.  The two holes have a rubber grommet that the male connector is integrated into, there is no separate wire between the grommet and the connector.  Neither grommet was in place and I had to look in the holes to see what the grommet/connector looked like.  It sounds like madmax has a good handle on the difference.  Just to re-iterate, mine is a February build date.

Edit:  I've thought about this and I am guessing, guessing that the integrated plug/grommet is the early one.  I'll bet that AMC found that people plugging the connector back in were pushing the grommet out of the trunk pan and went to the style with a short length of wire to prevent this.  That could be why neither of my grommets were intact.  But again, this is just a guess on my part.

I can't find the trunk key to my parts car which is a May build otherwise we would have another 'peg point' as AMC called them.

Edited by 6PakBee - May/15/2018 at 1:56pm
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 5:25pm
Roger, what we really want to know: Are those Machine exhaust manifolds in the trunk???
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Roger, what we really want to know: Are those Machine exhaust manifolds in the trunk???

Uh, yes.  I know, I know, they are supposed to be on the other end of the car.  Some day.....
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2018 at 4:46pm
The important thing is that you have them!!Smile
70RebelGeezer View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Uh, yes.  I know, I know, they are supposed to be on the other end of the car.  Some day.....

Roger, I'm still thinking about those little critters.......I think you know what I mean.
'68 Rebel SST
Selling Bellcranks '67-69,'70-up big body cars
3rd gen. American with V-8 Bellcrank assemblies
Gremlin and Hornet Z-bar now available
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic