TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

No disc brake options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2018 at 3:46pm
Ramblage - What did you use to mount the calipers on the adapters?  No bolts came with mine and near as I can tell, the threads in the plates are 7/16 18.
Using my old hubs, so per his instructions the welds on the adapters face out.
My 'usual' caliper bolts with the round hex heads fall right through the caliper holes.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 5:17am
Bill -- thanks for clarifying -- I meant front brake feed, not necessarily reservoir. I know pads CAN be worn down to nothing, but you have to never check the fluid from new pad to worn down to nothing to empty that big reservoir. It can happen, but most "car people" check their brake fluid level at least once or twice a year. Joe Average might not ever check it until something is wrong, that's what I meant by "dummied down" -- it's for those people. I suppose you could have a pad failure or prematurely wear out for some odd reason (in mud a lot?), but for the most part almost anyone on here would check the fluid and top off if needed once or twice before that happened.
Frank Swygert
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by IowaTom IowaTom wrote:

Ramblage - What did you use to mount the calipers on the adapters?  No bolts came with mine and near as I can tell, the threads in the plates are 7/16 18.
My 'usual' caliper bolts with the round hex heads fall right through the caliper holes.

From what I remember the calipers I got didn’t come with the bolts either to where I had to source them from a local salvage yard that had a Chevy celebrity.
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 9:20am
Originally posted by IowaTom IowaTom wrote:

Try asking for some some "caliper guide pins" for a Chevy Celebrity at the parts store. Sometimes you have to find out what the parts store is calling the part before they can find it.

After a quick look I came up with 2 part numbers, one of them should work. It is more likely Heavy duty caliper bolts are the correct number.
Raybestos H5029 (Light/Medium Duty)
Raybestos H5030 (Heavy Duty)
Rambler Dan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2018 at 7:59pm
So I am guessing this is a master that would work? From a 74 hornet?

I know I'll have to redo the brake lines and that's no issue. Just making sure I have all the right parts before I order. I've got the previa rotors and Chevy celebrity calipers in the cart already.

Also what type of machine work do I. Wed to have done on the hubs? Don't really want to shell out for new hubs
Dan G.
Lancaster, NY
1959 cross country wagon
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2018 at 6:20am
Dan - That looks like the one I got with the 1" bore.

I'm stopping by my NAPA store today for the bolts and sleeves for the Celebrity calipers.  Thanks, Guys!
Rambler Dan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 2:51pm
Just about ready to pull the trigger on the disk conversion. One more question.   On a 59 will then stock steel wheels still fit?
Dan G.
Lancaster, NY
1959 cross country wagon
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 5:03pm
Mine do, Dan. They look like they're stock wheels, too. Mine are 15 inch.
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 12:42am
Running stock 15” wheels on mine also and yes they fit
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 6:38am
15" wheels work, 14" should, but don't know for sure. Didn't think 14" were used until the 63 Classic, but looked through TSMs and found that AMC started using 14" wheels in 1958 for V-8 cars, six cylinder used 15" until 63. I've only had pre 63 six cylinder cars, never a V-8. Learn something new even after being in the AMC hobby for a long time! Might have run across that before and just forgot though... oh well!!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic