TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 1969 AMX electric wiper motor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatthawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 1969 AMX electric wiper motor
    Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 12:15pm
Does anyone know if there are any electric wiper motors that will work on the AMX other than the factory ones?
knightflight View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2018 at 12:00am
I believe they are all car specific, at least as far as I have ever seen. The only system that might interchange is Chrysler, but only because those are also Prestolite, so you haven't gained anything. If you have the time and ingenuity, you could fabricate a GM system to work. Not sure it's worth it though..
Your other choice is to call 'Rain Gear'and see if they are willing to fabricate a system for those cars. Like other companies, I assume they will according to demand on a given set up.
Walt

'68 Rebel SST coupe. (X2)
'69 SC/Rambler (#7 on registry)
'69 Javelin SST Go-Pak 390-4 speed
'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
'72 Javelin AMX 360 ram-air
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 10:54am
There MAY be other wiper motors that could be adapted to work with the 68/69 AMX mounting plate, but I believe that is your sticking point. The mount plate and wiper transmission connection are vehicle specific. I don't know whether a later Gremlin/Hornet system has any compatible components, but there are still correct wiper motors/mount plates and wiper transmission arms available. David Bass in Oregon and billd here on the Forum restore the motors. The dash switches are getting harder to come by, but there is no substitute that I know of that will fit in the early AMX dash recess. If you're in need of a conversion or a replacement wiper motor, stock is the way to go. Having had 5 1968 AMX's, 3 with vacuum wipers I converted to electric, I've been through this maze before. Short of an aftermarket/custom setup, there is no other or better way to get electric wipers on an early Javelin or AMX.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 11:19am
IIRC someone has adapted the later Ford motor and plate from 73-74 Javelin to work, but you have to rewire things between motor and switch at minimum.

A used or rebuilt original motor is the way to go.

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 12:40pm
I can supply SOME wiper motors, restored and like new, or "yeah, it works" but neither is extremely cheap as there's been so very many convert from vacuum to electric for various reasons that anything work fixing is getting harder to find.
I have about two dozen in various states of repair......... from crusty but maybe can make it work ok to very nice, can be restored perfectly.  An outright "buy" without a core is likely going to run close to 300 - if you wanted it nice. 
Whether or not a later one can be adapted, gee, that's an interesting thought....... although believe it or not aside from a couple of Eagle wiper motors, I don't have a single motor on the shelf from 73 or later!
Bummer - as if I could find them as cores, I would have some. I mean seriously - if the wipers on my 73 go south and the motor isn't repairable, I'm in deep doo-doo as I have NO replacements for it.

The 73 and later are definitely wired differently but that's not a major issue for the most part - find and adapt a switch, make a harness (also no real issue, I may have the wiring parts needed).
The early Prestolite systems had a wiring harness distinct or separate from the main harness. It was a home-run from switch to motor and wasn't in the other harness at all.
73 and later that changed - likely because vacuum was no longer used. 

Assume wiring isn't the issue because I can easily deal with that - mounting is - and angles, size of the wiper transmission end that goes over the motor crank (electric has a "crank" that goes full circle, vacuum does not - it goes back and forth)
Anyway, rigging the wiper transmission to the electric motor crank and mounting it would be the thing.
The mounting plates are different in their hole orientation and size so you'd have to make different holes for the later motor.
Shoot, I don't even have a later plate to show the differences as I mounted mine back on my car. I need to find some wiper motor mounting plates!
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 1:16pm
1971 is the last year for vacuum wipers...... 1972 uses prestolite, and all 1972s are electric...and the wiper motor harness is separate from the main harness too...
phatthawg View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatthawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 2:29pm
Thanks for all the input. Sounds to me like this is a project that could be tackled by someone with some time. I was just thinking that if there was a motor that could be fit to the stock electric wiper transmission, that would be key. Making a mounting plate should be pretty straight forward for anyone with a bit of sheet metal skills.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 5:48pm
It seems to me that I have seen where someone made a plate - make sure it's stout!! Because there IS some stress as the thing changes direction. I've seen some actually flex (not necessarily AMC like those on Javelin/AMX etc. but on later years)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic