TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rbs carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rbs carb
    Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 3:33pm
Ok so I got my trans in and its running good now. Ran into an issue at a light when I tried to floor it and it just stalled. Did that a couple times before I figured out that I have to very lightly ease into it and once I'm going I'm good.

I've adjusted the idle screw and the fuel mixture screws but honestly I've never really messed with a carb before.

I want to get it to where its responsive and doesn't die. It's just a cruiser but I'd like to bring/use it for work (40 miles round trip) .

Any tips, tricks, links to running the carb.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 3:51pm
The RBS carb is rather notorious for having a weak accelerator pump (or the seal in that pump just gets old and won't do the job).  It sounds to me like that is your problem.  I recommend getting a rebuild kit and rebuilding the carb yourself.   Rebuild kits can be found at Mike's Carburetor Parts (google it) and elsewhere. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

The RBS carb is rather notorious for having a weak accelerator pump (or the seal in that pump just gets old and won't do the job).  It sounds to me like that is your problem.  I recommend getting a rebuild kit and rebuilding the carb yourself.   Rebuild kits can be found at Mike's Carburetor Parts (google it) and elsewhere. Joe

Found the kit. Will be ordering it soon. Thank you.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 2:35am
Opening the throttle wide open from a dead stop and not having the engine hesitate or stall is the hardest thing for a carburetor to do. There is a lot going on and everything about the natural way a carburetor works fights against being able to do that. Everything has to be just right in the carburetor for it to handle that.

Little 1 barrel carbs seem to do it best. They handle being floored from a stop quite well usually. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 6:10am
Yeah, it sounds like the accelerator pump is shot. Easy to see -- pull the air cleaner and look down the carb while you quickly open the throttle (or have someone sit in the car and mash the gas pedal). You should be able to SEE some fuel squirt into the carb. If not, accelerator pump is bad.

Easy enough to install a carb kit. One thing to not, don't use spray brake or carb cleaner inside the carb! It will swell the seals and render them useless. That spray carb cleaner is only intended to be used on the OUTSIDE of the carb. You can get a gallon can of carb cleaner that has a little basket for small parts in it. It's intended to put the carb parts in and let them soak a few hours/overnight. You can use the spray cleaner to blow out passages with the carb apart. It evaporate quick enough that you can blow out, make sure there's no liquid pooled anywhere, wait a couple minutes, then assemble without worrying about messing up the accelerator pump. If you have compressed air available that's better for blowing out passages. Just wear safety glasses -- some holes that look like through passages are blind holes and stuff blows back in your face. Can burn the eyes... need to ask how I know?
Frank Swygert
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 6:53am
"Yeah, it sounds like the accelerator pump is shot. Easy to see -- pull the air cleaner and look down the carb while you quickly open the throttle (or have someone sit in the car and mash the gas pedal). You should be able to SEE some fuel squirt into the carb. If not, accelerator pump is bad. "

do NOT do this with the engine running.....

67 american 290/4speed
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 8:55am
I did test the accelerator pump and it does give fuel. Tweaked it a little more and its a bit better. I ease into it now and it feels smooth. For now it'll do. Brought it to work and she did need brakes though. That'll be this next weekend project.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 6:47pm
FYI what year and car ? The 1969 RBS has some different parts. The accelerator pump is different for that year only it has some  different parts. Don't know why , but I have one on my base 69 Javelin. LRDaum 
LRDaum
Jjtxaz View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jjtxaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 1:21pm
It is on a 1969 AMC Rambler 2 DR with a 199 3.3L I6.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 5:55pm
Yep, The 1969 RBS is the odd sock of the lot. The accelerator pump shaft has a weird size different from before or after , so the universal kit you'll probably get will not have all the right parts. Most of them but there are not for the odd year. I hope you get the right kit. But if you find the pump and one or two other parts are not right drop me a PM . The kit is available from the outfit in MO. that picked up all the old Carter one and two barrel parts Edelbrock did not  want when they bought all the Carter four barrel stuff. I have to look up the outfit but last I heard they still had the right parts. What I did was I happen to find a rebuilt 1968 RBS redone on sale on EBAY and I replaced my RBS with that one . It was listed for a 1968 199 American but it worked perfectly on my 232 - 1969 Javelin. LRDaum 
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic