TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

287 carby trouble

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote titan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 287 carby trouble
    Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 2:53am
Hi, I am chasing either parts or information for my rambler classic 770 with a 287 v8. I am having trouble with the engine running rich at medium revs and have diagnosed the power valve in the carby is not working as it should. With a vacuum tester connector to the port that sucks the valve up it only moves some of the time. Is there supposed to be a rubber seal on the piston? Can you buy new parts for this carby? Can I change carbys with out any modifications? Any help would be appreciated.
P.S the carby is a 2209 holly 2 barrel.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 3:33am
I've read on here and seen at shows that you can't get parts that will work with the 2209 Holley. Personally, if a motorcraft will fit, that's what I would do...or change the manifold to the 4bbl.

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Apr/14/2018 at 8:51am
titan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote titan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 6:54am
What do you mean by motor raft? What is a bbl?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 8:52am
Originally posted by titan titan wrote:

What do you mean by motor raft? What is a bbl?
motorcraft. And bbl is short for how many barrels or venturi...I guess if you had to ask....
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 9:04am
They want your old car to die so you are forced to buy a new one.

This topic takes a backseat to airplane owners who are currently upset about rules/laws concerning aviation fuels -where there are many older airplanes currently in use which were not made to run on ethanol blended fuels.

E10 fuel, aka 'Gasohol', is the troublemaker for most fuel system problems on vintage cars; they were not made to run on ethanol blended fuels either.

Ethanol is a type of alcohol and alcohol is more aggressive to destroy all the the 'old school' rubber seals involved with the fuel systems on the older engines.

Any other part connected to the induction system through a vacuum line is also affected by the high evaporation rate, such as the power brake booster and the vacuum advance mechanism on the distributor.

Trying not to write a book on this here, I would first recommend two things:

1) swap to carb that does not employ an 'old school' Holley type power valve mechanism

2) install a 'mini cube' electric fuel pump

---------------------------------------------

There is no bolt on ethanol compatible carburetor for your old Rambler V8 engine.

You will need to make friends with a 'carb guru' who has the know-how and ability to fabricate linkage to fit any one of those carbs which does not have a rubber diaphragm power valve mechanism.

No list:

-any Holley 'modular' style carburetor (all those 2 & 4bbl carbs where the float bowls mount sideways onto the main body with four screws)

-any Autolite or Motorcraft carb that uses the Holley type power valve; the 2100, 2150 and the four barrel versions of the same carb

...the 'other style' Motorcraft four barrel (beginning in '70 on AMC vehicles) is acceptable...

Yes list:

Nearly any Rochester carburetor; they all use metering rods (no way a ruptured rubber power valve diaphragm can leak fuel/solvent into the engine) -most of these 'old school' Rochester carbs were made with a zinc castings which is ethanol compatible. ('Rochester two jet' & 'Quadrajet')

Nearly any 'old school' Carter carburetor*; they all use metering rods/no rubber diaphragm power valve mechanism. These are cast aluminum though which is not fully ethanol compatible. *Definitely not the Carter YF one barrel! The Carter AFB style 4bbl carb is a good choice. Carter Thermoquads usually develop leaks because the plastic body is crack prone. ...plastic: (ugh) a petroleum product cheaper than dirt?

The aluminum bodied Holley 4360 four barrel is highly E10 tolerant (as distinguished from compatible; aluminum itself is not 100% resistant to corrosion caused by use with alcohol/ethanol)

The Jeep 327 Vigilante two barrel Holley carb uses a brass and steel power valve mechanism like the Holley 4360. I believe these were made of cast zinc, which is ethanol compatible.

-------------------------------------------------------

All the 'cup type' accelerator pump seals are of little concern; they won't leak fuel into the intake manifold if they go bad.

All the Holley style rubber diaphragm style accelerator pump seals will leak sooner than later and these will spill fuel onto/into the engine (they were good when we didn't have E10 gas but now they are troubleprone & doomed to leak for list of reasons) -all Holley 'modular style' carbs and all Autolite/Motorcraft carbs with the similar type of accelerator pump diaphragms; the 2100, 2150 the similar looking four barrel versions)

...the constant process of evaporation and refilling the carb with fuel is harder on the rubber parts -it's not as bad for people who drive the particular engine/vehicle on a regular basis because all the rubber parts in the fuel system 'stay wet'...

------------------------------------------------------

Why is there not much information about this on the Internet? (they just want to sell us more carburetor rebuild kits? ...for the whole engine too?)

There is if you search for it; look up 'problems with ethanol gas in old cars' (approximately half the articles are not written by carburetor/fuel system intellectuals though -those articles will have more alarming warnings with less technical chemical, material and metalurgical explanation)

https://generalaviationnews.com/2010/12/16/pilots-comment-on-mogas-and-ethanol/

----------------------------------------------------

Feel free to contact me anytime but I'm constantly busy working on other things lately

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 6:55pm
There is an acceleration pump in the 2209 that is an "umbrella" style. Any kit i have found has the pump that will not remain viable with modern fuel...ie Alcohol. They degrade and carb does not work well.
IMO..changing to a motorcraft carb from a 70's AMC would work better. This is my experience. Good luck.
titan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote titan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 8:53pm
We still have an option as to wether or not we use ethanol fuel here in Australia. Does the motorcraft carby bolt straight on?
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 8:56pm
Yup...just make sure your auto trans kick down linkage adjusted to same position/length. If stick car...run it.
titan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote titan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 9:01pm
its an auto. Any idea where I might find one? Because we don't need to run ethanol, do you know anyone that knows the hollys or has parts?
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 9:10pm
They are readily available..check Ebay or Facebook AMC sites or Wanted section here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic