TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

where can one find solenoid for auto Jav?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where can one find solenoid for auto Jav?
    Posted: Apr/08/2018 at 9:20pm
I have checked all of the local places - so far, no luck finding a correct starter "solenoid"/relay for a 73 Javelin automatic.
These will have a ground connection on the back and NOT be grounded to the fender as all others.
The NSS grounds the solenoid in these cars - but every one I find is for manual transmissions.
Short of making insulating shouldered washers and getting really complex in mounting a solenoid and preventing it from being grounded to the fender - where are people getting their starter solenoids for Javelins with MOPAR automatics?
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2018 at 10:46pm
I would go looking boxes in the garage and find one, the wiring next to it maybe of help also it has both male and female connectors. They are a four wire connector one is not used. wire not in as good of shape as what you already have. PM me if you are interested in one or both.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2018 at 11:15pm
napa lists a ECH-ST83 that looks correct.

Standard Motor products  SS 582   can be found on e bay

Edited by 1970390amx - Apr/09/2018 at 12:17am
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2018 at 12:56pm
NAPA doesn't have anything that's actually correct. At least not in Iowa.
O'Reilly's listed several "correct for 73 Javelin" and then when I clicked on each one, it said "not correct" - they are all for sticks.

I ended up buying a "NORS" that was definitely correct - the application list included 72-73 AMC Javelin and enough other AMCs - and the photo they showed was correct (in fact looking at your pic now, it was like that one)

So one is on the way - from eBay, made in USA, etc.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2018 at 3:22pm
Build,
Just for others and verification of part number:
NORS - part number?
The Borg Warner S113 and Standard Motor Products SS582 also look to be the same:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C81T4Q/ref=psdc_15731411_t1_B000IURL4U
Your take.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2018 at 5:44pm
I checked the applications for the number Roger mentioned - ECH-ST83 - and it IS correct for 73 with automatic - it has the ground terminal on the back and does not ground through the mounting tabs.
BW S113 would be correct as well.
Amazon says the SS582 doesn't fit - but it sure looks correct, it mounts at an angle and has the ground terminal on the back.
I would say it will fit since it crosses to what I bought, what Roger mentioned and the BW S113 which is also correct for the AMCs with MOPAR transmission and the NSS that grounds the solenoid.

The tell seems to be the terminal on the back and the mounting is at an angle instead of straight up and down like those used earlier, for for sticks.

No one around here carries those - had to go online to find one to fit.
(and I even shop at the NAPA distribution center - and they didn't have it)
For a while I wasn't even able to find what DID fit - everything anyone here listed says "doesn't fit" but then I have found they aren't always correct - like AMAZON stating that one wouldn't fit my car. BS -- it's correct for my car.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2018 at 6:24pm
I never trust Amazon's catalog. I use RA or the manufacturers catalog. Standard Motor Parts has a great e catalog. 

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2018 at 6:40pm
Be careful - I can tell of two specific instances of Rockauto's listing being very wrong - and one of them was because Gabriel's listing was WRONG.
Cross-checking with other sources is a good idea - but then that even fails. I have three cases of that failing - one was because TIMKEN's listing was WRONG for bearings, and another was because the national listing the auto parts stores, and Rockauto, use, was wrong for a MOPAR transmission seal.
The seal was for the shift select shaft - that small little seal that goes around the shift shaft on MOPAR transmissions. Should be simple, right? The listing from all of the parts stores EXCEPT NAPA, was wrong and you ended up with a large output shaft seal. O'Reilly, RockAuto, Advance, Autozone all had the wrong part number for that little seal. Only NAPA had it correct - likely because they produced the part themselves.

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2018 at 11:16pm
Hmm. My car is a stick. And all my parts cars are auto. I had to buy a solenoid for my 74 Gremlin...its correct, but it's a standard blue streak one. Interesting about the one for the 73 Javelin.. .
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 5:34am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Hmm. My car is a stick. And all my parts cars are auto. I had to buy a solenoid for my 74 Gremlin...its correct, but it's a standard blue streak one. Interesting about the one for the 73 Javelin.. .

My 71 and 73 used the same solenoid, both had 304 automatics. He only difference is 7 used a BW tranny.

I use to find a lot of Solenoids made by other manufactures. Thus the black KEM SW92. My 71 has an an aftermarket Grey/Green body with the ground pin. I may still have it, but not sure. I really don't think there is any special solinoid, between AMC cars with automatics through the years from late 60s on up the late 70s.

The only reason why I said I could not find one earlier in my reply, was that Standard was 96% in my search list. Nothing for NOS KEM, BW, NAPA, Delco... etc. Not 100% sure Standard is 100% made in USA. That is why I never stated the name. If it was labeled Blue Streak, then I would have said something, as i know many here look away at non USA made products off the shelves.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic