TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Wheels/Rims 17x8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 10:22am
Cost and availability of 14 inch tires drove me over to 17 inch. But I have also upgraded the suspension to match.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 10:33am
If done right, tread diameter is nearly the same between 14 and 17" tires.

17" tires have less flex.

The issue is 8" + width.

As long as the placement from backspacing keeps the rim centered at the mounting flange, i see no issues.

The issues are when peeps use spacers with rims that don't have proper offset to fit and shift centering from mounting face on the spindle.

I can get away with a spacer, by the lack of offset on the rims I have.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
einbier View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 4:22pm
I appreciate all of the reply's. The difference between the tire sizes i'm picking are incredibly close to the ones on the car now in height and width .except they are 17's. My main concern is the 8" wheel for width and if the backspacing needs to change? 

My car has 205/60HR15's on the front and 255/50HR15's on machine wheels and runs fine? I know that this is not the correct Factory size. I bought it this way. If the baloneys they put on at the factory were on, they would be spinning forever I have two speeds very fast and stop. LOL

Every kid I grew up with put the biggest tires we could fit on the rims and never ever any problems. Just like spoilers and rear window louvers. You did what you liked to your car.

And I more than appreciate your concerns Bill as you've helped me many times with other projects. Just like you said this is a personal like issue. 

I'm putting ET Mags LT-III's on it that are very close to what Penske ran. I've seen mulitple guys with them and that why I asked. There is a guy in Washington with them. He was in Car Craft last year with a 70 Resto mod Javelin. but he has replace the front suspension.

I thought it would be an easy question to someone who has done it. 

Thanks for all the help.
1970 Javelin Mark Donohue
1970 Hornet Shirley Shahan
(Tribute)

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 5:03pm
Maybe this will be of some help. https://www.rsracing.com/TechWheel.aspx

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 7:20pm
I think you have to realise that when you step up to a larger diameter wheel and generally shorter sidewall tire, that the acceptable rim width does generally increase.

Where you would have run a old 225/60/14 tire on a 6" or 7" wide rim, a 225/45/17 tire will naturally go on a 7" or 8" rim. I've run 225/60/14 tires on 8" rims on the front of my Javelin and they actually fit quite nicely. This is also completely within the tire manufacturer's recommended wheel sizing for these tires.

So long as you are maintaining roughly the same offset as the factory rim then there really shouldn't be any extra stress on things. If you suddenly decide to run a 10" wide rim with 1" back spacing, then this is going to introduce all sorts of unnatural loads on your suspension components.

JeeperJolene View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJolene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 7:47pm
I've been struggling to figure out what to do with my '73 Javelin. I like the look of the stock wheels. Unfortunately, the previous owner trashed them.

I'm going to be doing the Wilwood big brakes in the front and swapping the drums in the rear, so I wouldn't be able to use them anyway. Searching through forums has sent me in all different directions and I'm still back at square one. I'd like to fill up the back wells because the same size tire as the front leaves a lot of space and it looks...odd.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 8:07pm
It seems like the low profile tire/shorter side wall large diameter rims would jar the suspension more while driving. The tall side walls act as part of the suspension and absorb some of the shock from the road. The roads in California are in bad shape and it is not uncommon for cars to bend a wheel with large diameter rims and low profile tires when they hit a pot hole. I know muscle car owners who have damaged /bent their aluminum large diameter wheels while driving  over the treacherous Altamont Pass to show their car  at Goodguys Pleasanton.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

It seems like the low profile tire/shorter side wall large diameter rims would jar the suspension more while driving. The tall side walls act as part of the suspension and absorb some of the shock from the road. The roads in California are in bad shape and it is not uncommon for cars to bend a wheel with large diameter rims and low profile tires when they hit a pot hole. I know muscle car owners who have damaged /bent their aluminum large diameter wheels while driving  over the treacherous Altamont Pass to show their car  at Goodguys Pleasanton.

That's what we have with our Honda... lousy 18" rims and potholes. Never bent a rim, but the lip is scuffed on its edges.

17" shouldn't be as bad. Though I do believe if we had 17" wife would feel better when in the passenger seat. Bumps are more on the passenger side.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 9:52pm
Yes, with the 17" wheels you will have a shorter sidewall and slightly stiffer ride. I think with the 17"s you do still retain enough sidewall for it to not be too much of a compromise, if you were going to run a 20" with 20 series then it might be a different story.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 11:14pm
14 and 15 inch tires are just too hard to get, in anything with decent performing rubber. i went online (2014 or so), shopped around to see what the smallest wheel that got me a broad selection of tires, and went with that -- 16". then i had custom 16 x 7" wheels made by Wheelsmith, and had him set the backspacing so that scrub angle would be in the right place.

to me, YMMV, 16" doesn't look radically tall (i left 'em black), and 50 series tires leaves enough air and rubber for the car. there's a hint of "modernness" but it's not overwhelming.

i'm running 205-50/16 Kumho Ecsta 4X tires. second set, i love them. manual steering, the little Gemmer box that's the sole choice for the early Americans.  steering effort is low enough for me.

years ago i had a '63 classic wagon that i had put 14x7 torque-thrust D's on. they looked great, but i ruined scrub angle, it was a bear to drive but i somehow didnt mind enough to do anything about it.

Edited by tomj - Apr/16/2018 at 12:05pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic