TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

dot 5 brake fluid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dot 5 brake fluid
    Posted: Apr/07/2018 at 6:31am
I'd like to know why so many of you are using dot 5 silicon brake fluid6 
I always used dot 3  back in those days and never had any problem with it but since evtg is new and i 'm on a fresh start i might as well inquire.
The dot 5 is three times as expensive and as i don't intend to race the  car in any ways I don'think i'll abuse the braking system as it will over heat.
I jus heard though that it's more stable for long time use so... all opinions welcome
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2018 at 6:44am
Originally posted by jeanbonjeanbon1 jeanbonjeanbon1 wrote:

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb248, 248, 252;">I'd like to know why so many of you are using dot 5 silicon brake fluid6 </span><div style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb248, 248, 252;">I always used dot 3  back in those days and never had any problem with it but since evtg is new and i 'm on a fresh start i might as well inquire.<div style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb248, 248, 252;">The dot 5 is three times as expensive and as i don't intend to race the  car in any ways I don'think i'll abuse the braking system as it will over heat.<div style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; : rgb248, 248, 252;">I jus heard though that it's more stable for long time use so... all opinions welcome

See your original post on brake lines.

Here is a copy...

Longer life, and better heat rating, may help with longer hose life too. If your not into hard driving, DOT3 is just fine. It's like motor oil, you can spend a great deal of money on synthetics, but if you maintain under manufacturer's recommended guidelines, cheaper dino oil can do just as well, if you are just driving around normally. Like why buy track shoes if you just using them for house slippers?

Mods don't like multi topics on the same subject. Though, the only issue is that you added this to your original topic, and added this after the fact. You may remove your question, and leave this, to keep things simple and clean. I have seen a few peeps do what you have time and time, and get lost with figuring out which topic is still valid, when both topics are flip flopping around.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
jeanbonjeanbon1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2018 at 6:54am
sorry i don't get what you mean i'm inquiring a lot of things but my post on brake fluid is the only one i made on brake fluuid and since i'm restoring i do get a lot of questions coming up at the same time thanks. Sorry  if i did stg wrong but i didn't whrite the post on brake lines
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2018 at 7:16am
DOT 5 brake fluid will not eat the paint if spilled on it like DOT 3 does.

DOT 5 won't absorb water like DOT 3.
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2018 at 7:52am
hi, if you are starting over with a COMPLETELY new brake system, as in new wheel cylinders, calipers, master cyl, and all brake lines, I would go with the DOT 5, not for performance, but simply because it stores better. If keeping any old pieces, stay with the DOT 3, the two don't mix. good luck, gz
george z
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2018 at 8:36am
I use DOT5 in my Javelin, mainly because it won't damage the paint. The brake system was completely replaced, so there was no chance of contamination with DOT3.

As already mentioned, DOT3 and DOT5 do not play nice together. If switching from one to the other, you must completely flush the old fluid out of the system.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2018 at 8:46am
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

I use DOT5 in my Javelin, mainly because it won't damage the paint. The brake system was completely replaced, so there was no chance of contamination with DOT3.

As already mentioned, DOT3 and DOT5 do not play nice together. If switching from one to the other, you must completely flush the old fluid out of the system.

My assumption was he wanted to keep original hoses... given they were not Chinese made and had DOT3 absorption in the lining compound. As long as he does proper maintainance and drives normally he can use the DOT3.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2018 at 9:07am
if such hoses can be cleanedGeek
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2018 at 9:46am
Originally posted by jeanbonjeanbon1 jeanbonjeanbon1 wrote:

if such hoses can be cleanedGeek

Post a picture or two, some surface rust can be removed, but any deep cleaning of the fittings may require replating. If worst case, silver leaf from a hobby shop will give some finish, on the cheap.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2018 at 11:53am
thanks 304 dude i am talking about interior cleaning cause the hoses were pretty nice outside but i finally think i'll order replacement at Rockauto since to me there is no ways to check the inside of those hoses
Regards,Jean
BBBQ
Big Bad Blue Quebec
Amx 1969
F150 2013
crv 2016
roadstar 2003
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic