TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Gas Tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedjr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Tank
    Posted: Apr/03/2018 at 12:14pm
Gas Tank Wow's

Hello

As some of you may know I have experienced several failures of the gas tank on my 70 AMX.

Here I am seeking you advice about what might be the root cause.

Here is the back ground information.

My original tank failed some years ago and I had it cleaned & repaired
at a radiator shop.
Then a few years later this repair failed. I then took the tank to Don Hart who uses the Renu process .
When this repair failed I purchased a good used tank which had been cleaned by a radiator shop.
Now that tank has failed.
Three times failure was on bottom but one time on hole was on top of tank.

Note tank is non vented type.

THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2018 at 2:20pm
Instead of throwing more money at old rusted/rusting gas tanks why not get a new reproduction tank from one of the vendors??
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
tedjr1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedjr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2018 at 3:40pm
I had looked into that before.

The biggest problem I saw that none have filler
necks. So would have to reuse the old one.
Also the new tanks are not coated.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2018 at 4:23pm
Coated or uncoated, a new tank will last one heck of a long time, especially if you paint the outside with something like Eastwood gas tank paint and put something between the bottom of the car, the tank and the straps and the tank where things might rub together.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-tank-tone-metallic-coating-aerosol-13-oz.html?SRCCODE=PLA00010&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI142prISf2gIVjbjACh3x7wHfEAQYASABEgK1CPD_BwE

My guess at that point is the tank will last longer than you...

Have a radiator shop remove the filler neck from your old tank and solder it to the new tank.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2018 at 5:24pm
The tank, from what you have stated so far is scrap.
Next question is what have you been putting in the tank and how have you been storing it?
New vehicles are plastic tanks for a purpose - alcohol. It absorbs moisture, separates the petroleum additives faster (weeks, not months) and is in itself corrosive to steel in that it enhances oxidation, separation and electrolysis.
As advised above, time for a new tank. Then treat it well, with good old petrol and additives if storing. My personal favorite is Seafoam but there are others out there. 
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2018 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by tedjr1 tedjr1 wrote:

I had looked into that before.

The biggest problem I saw that none have filler
necks. So would have to reuse the old one.
Also the new tanks are not coated.

It sounds like you should have collected a few filler necks by now, and you can always have the new tank coated if you feel that is necessary.
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
gd5052 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gd5052 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 9:43am
Have you tried Redkote tank sealer
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2018 at 10:08am
The trouble at this point is that previous tank sealing has been done and failed. You would not know the compatibility of a new sealer adhering to the old sealer. Then to compound the problem the leaks may have gone under the old sealers and rotted the metal. The new sealer will not get there either.
Time for a new tank, unless you split the tank, clean to bare metal, re-coat and re-seam (costing more then a new tank). 
tedjr1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedjr1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 12:51pm
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like a new tank would cost north of $500. What with new sender etc. plus filler neck welding.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by tedjr1 tedjr1 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like a new tank would cost north of $500. What with new sender etc. plus filler neck welding.

Read up on the new senders before you buy one: http://theamcforum.com/forum/warning-ebay-sending-units-are-junk_topic92568.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic