TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I Hate Rust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

I have to say I really admire your work quality and dedication to your project but I have to wonder if it is really worth it.  You will be able to look at your car and say "I did that" and feel very proud but if I was a buyer would I want a car that needed so much restoration?  NO WAY am I knocking your work, 'cause I'm not.  But man, that's a lot of piecing together.  I understand that sometimes people undertake projects because they can be a learning experience and that's reason enough.  Good job anyway you look at it.

I get what you're saying. Solid cars are clearly better projects but they're much harder to find. Didn't think this car was this bad when I first started. Most of them are icebergs, worse below the surface.

Guess people tinker with them for different reasons. Some are interested in making $$$, others are motivated by a taking on a challenge. My reason is more the latter. Identifying a problem and implementing a solution appeals to me. I admit it doesn't always go as well as I envision, I'm just a hobbyist.

I've had this car since '86 and it's always been really good to me. Time for me to be good to it.

Got the front edge of the rocker fabbed up today, should have it burned in tomorrow.

-Steve-

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 9:26pm
If all body shops did the work correctly like you see here it wouldn`t be so scary buying a restored car...I just found out tonight that a 78 Gremlin hood will not except a 78 Concord hood molding( i was told it would so never checked now it`s 2 years later and wanted to mock up the molding before paint)...Tomorrow i start cutting and reshaping the hood.....
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2018 at 9:00pm
Got the front edge of the rocker repaired. I can't weld upside-down very well so I'll have to finish the underside of both rockers after I get it on a rotisserie.

Next I'll move on to the driver's quarter.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 7:32pm
Sizing up the quarter repair panel. I measured from upper body line to lower body line (the blue tape) and taped the panel in place. The wheel arch fits nicely. There's some tweaking to do but nothing terribly radical.

turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2018 at 7:43pm
I think it's freaking awesome!  The fact that you've had that car since '86 makes a bit more sense to me......"I'm gonna' get that thing fixed up some day!"  I get it........
they call me Capt RETIRED!
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2018 at 9:45am
Steve, is that the John Newell panel you bought?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 6:27am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Steve, is that the John Newell panel you bought?

Yes.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2018 at 12:38pm
There's a lot that needs done before installing the new panel. More tail pan rot.

Removed the old driver's side trunk drop. Got a reproduction piece coming.

rang-a-stang View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rang-a-stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2018 at 1:07pm
Subscribed! Awesome thread.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2018 at 6:26pm
Rebuilt the rear part of the inner wheel arch this eve. Next I'll work up the front part.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic