TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I Hate Rust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 4:13pm
Got the doorskin put on the door shell. Took an old crappy body hammer and ground the head on an angle to make the fold on the underside of the door. I still need to spot weld those areas.

Looking like a door.

Hung it on the car just to have a look.

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 7:46pm
Finally finished the metal work on the passenger door. Got the skin spot welded and ground around the folds.

Skin to shell brace located under the wing window frame.

Stripped all the paint off the inner shell.

danarchy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danarchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 2:21pm
Rust, sure could live without it. I've been living in the rustbelt for 10 years now. Ive gone from a solid "auto addicition" down to one every once in a while. Born and raised in southern california moved to Vegas via a few small stops. We used to do weekly auctions "just for something different to drive." They were cheap. Sometimes there were two a night. Needless to say the auctions were hit or miss...a lot of fun. We registered 13 one year...Now it's more as needed and what a pain that is. It's crazy what people will drive...Im guilty...but NO on the rust. I'm in this forum right now because I need to do floor pans on my newest mistake. Oh, the surf the sand...the santa ana's....the smog
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 3:28pm
Started on the right front fender. The car got hit back in '87 and pushed the passenger side in several inches. The body shop that "repaired" the car used a ton of filler. You can see how they fixed it by looking at the back side. It's more than 1/2" thick in some places.

This fender is in better shape but still needs attention.

Sectioned in a piece of the original fender where the replacement is rotted and welded up the trim and emblem holes.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2018 at 6:06pm
Welded up the trim holes in the fender lip as well as the air box on the passenger side. It was bent inwards and some spot welds were broken, probably from the accident in '87.

Sealed and painted the air box and fender trough.

Funny..... none of this metal was on the car before I started this project!

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2018 at 1:42pm
Looking great! Keep the updates coming.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 8:00pm
Removed the driver's side fender and compared it to my spare. Turns out the spare is much worse than the one on the car. I saw some body filler stalactites hanging from the underside of the original fender. After removing all the filler from that area it appears the holes were drilled to pull a dent. The rust is little more than surface. There were caches of filler elsewhere from other damage some point in the past.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 7:27pm
Uh-oh, more filler. How bad could it be?

*Groan*

Maybe I can section in the leading edge of my spare fender..... it seems solid.

Crap, more toothpaste......

Geez.... are there any Rebel fenders that haven't been run into something!?!

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Geez.... are there any Rebel fenders that haven't been run into something!?!

Looking at my collection of used fenders....no, there isn't.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 6:25am
Started sectioning the leading edge of the driver's fender. Used the marker lamp mounting holes to help locate it properly. Should have it burned in before the weekend.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic