TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

I Hate Rust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 9:40pm
Man I wish I could weld like that......... the other Eagle I'm working on would be a whole lot better if I could. It's not horrible, but it's embarrassing how badly I did and how many times I burned through and had to fill holes I made.
Luckily, my patches in that other car are in the floor of that car and will be unseen by the owner or anyone else.

Your repairs look really good.

Not like mine...........maybe I should take lessons from you.

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 9:55pm
Thanks guys, having an angle grinder helps clean up my welds

Billd: Sometimes that happens to me too. Usually happens when I run into really thin metal. Are you using a MIG?

-Steve-
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 10:09pm
Yes, a pretty new model but I can't say I know how to properly use it, even after watching a bunch of youtube videos. 

What I'd give to be able to weld like that or at least a ton better than I do now!

My welder ->

rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 10:59pm
I've tried reading and videos over the years to learn also.  Might help if I actually bought a welder, huh?  LOL

Anyway, and this is more a question than a statement...  Isn't burn thru like Bill showed either voltage too high, metal too thin, or holding the tip a little too close to the welder?  From my (limited) understanding, holding the welder in one spot too long is going to do it also even if everything else is perfect.  That seems to me to be the real art; knowing how fast to make your welds so they're complete without burn thru or shoddy, weak connections.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 7:07am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Yes, a pretty new model but I can't say I know how to properly use it, even after watching a bunch of youtube videos. 

What I'd give to be able to weld like that or at least a ton better than I do now!

My welder ->

Looks like you got a good one. Friend of mine who welds for a living swears by Miller. I have a 20 year old Miller 130.

From looking at your pic it looks like either the wire speed is too fast, too little heat or you're moving the gun too fast. The weld is heaped up on top of the base material instead of penetrating into it. What does the back side look like? It should show a heat pattern.

For sheet metal I'm using 0.023" wire.

-Steve-
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 12:37pm
Cut another door apart, I think this shell will clean up a bit better. It's not bent up on the underside like the original but was also hacked for door speakers.

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

My welder ->

i use the Millermatic 211 at work..nice machine...auto set works well when welding steady...sometimes while tacking it takes to long to learn
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2018 at 8:31pm
Spent a fair amount of time repairing an area of the door noone will see! Oh well, I feel better about it.

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 7:48am
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Spent a fair amount of time repairing an area of the door noone will see! Oh well, I feel better about it.

Once more, I wish I was your neighbor.  That is FINE work.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 7:26pm
Thanks Roger!

Spotted more holes...... time for more metal Bondo. Might have this door skinned this weekend.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic