TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amx 69 brake system choice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amx 69 brake system choice?
    Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 8:20am
hi,any advice would be greatly apreciated here. I'm gonna replace every bushing in my suspension and since evtg is diassembled and ready to sandblast and paint , i 'm having a look at my brake system with bendix 4 pistons calipers. I'm wondering if i must go back with that system. (The master needs a replace, the calipers need a refresh, the pads look new, the rotors have surface rust but not measured yet, all the lines need replace and i can't assume evtg that 's in that brake system as ''original''). 

I could have access to a79  spirit amx brake system with all from spindle  to the wheel that also will need refresh so my question is what is, for the buck and safety concern, the best option to go. I know i'll never look back when it'll be done Confused

My goal is to finish this car asap and drive it once in a while to shows here and use it as a sunday driver when temp cooperate. I don't intend to race it and try to put it back as original as possible, but the braking system ain't got a good reputation as a trouble free syst 

jeanbonjeanbon1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 8:22am
I forgot my brake booster looks ok and is already blasted and painted
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 9:36am
The 79 Spirit brakes are arguably just as good as the old Bendix four piston, and easier to get parts for. The main differences between the two are four opposed piston caliper vs. sliding single piston, and solid vs. vented rotors. The four opposed pistons might have a bit more "grip" power than the sliding single piston, but shouldn't be that much difference. The rotors are another story! The solid rotors of the old Bendix system will heat up a lot faster than the vented rotors of the 79 system. Will it make a noticeable difference? Under regular street driving probably not. If you were road racing the car you would eventually notice more fade with the solid rotor.

Parts cost and availability are really the only serious factors, IMHO. Given that, I'd take the 79 brakes over the 69. Rotors for 79-83 AMCs are around $60 each new... for now. Some places don't have suppliers (Advance doesn't, AutoZone does... and is where the just under $60 price comes from). For that reason I'd investigate Scarebird options. They sell custom caliper brackets and use commonly available newer model rotors that fit your spindles. They have a big rotor kit available now as well. I've used their older conversion kits and they are just as good as the 79 Concord brakes, and use the same master cylinder (can use the one you have now). If the rotors you have now are good and you already have the 79 brake setup, you may as well use it. Rotors for these will only get more expensive and harder to find as demand goes down though. When it's time to replace them 5-10 years from now they may be expensive. But you can always worry about that then...  I have 79 Spirit brakes on my 63 Classic. replaced rotors 2-3 years ago, and as much as I drive it now should be good for another 20 years.

There are four piston vented rotor options -- Aerospace Components and Wilwood both make nice kits if you want to spend the money.
Frank Swygert
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 9:39am
In road tests of the day, the AMX actually stopped quite well. For general street cruising and shows, stock should be fine if well maintained and you drive within limits and fit good tires.

The later Bendix sliding calipers are also not without issue as the steel-on-steel siding surfaces need good maintenance to work well - especially if you drive much on salted, winter roads (expect not a problem for you). 

Porterfield still offers their R4S pads if wanting something with better fade resistance for the 4-piston Bendix, but I believe they are now custom order so around $210 a set.

And there's always the Wilwood, Aerospace or Scarebird options as Frank mentioned. 

Hope this helps, RD 
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 9:58am
If you already have access to the 79 then this is by far the cheaper option and for street drive-ability also a very good option.
Follow some of the posts on Builds 73 Javelin thread to see some nice detailed pictures. The 79 should not get into the issues he had, your's would be simply bolt on and you can use your original master cylinder by taking out the residual check valve from the disk brake supply. Or use the master from the Spirt but the mounting bolt holes may be different.
I used an 81 Concord on my 69 and it was all bolt up, very pleased with it.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 10:03am
Note the Concord used larger diameter rotors, calipers and pads than the regular Spirit.   Not sure if the Spirit AMX used same as the Concord, so best to verify parts and availability before swapping.   

If originality is a concern, also consider value of original brakes vs a swap.

Hope this helps,RD
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 10:26am
thanks both for reply ,read them with gerat attention
one of the calipers already out and three pistons work free one looks seized . are the parts easy to get to rebuild if i go this way?
I might have a look to scarebird too, here in Qc Canada parts are not as easy to get as in usa and dollar is .75c yours plus expensive shipping evtg got to be considered before action is taken but have to decide this week
Jean
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2018 at 5:04am
thank you guys finally will go back orriginal
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2018 at 7:56am
The 1979 brakes are a poor design. Had them on 2 cars over the years. First on a 1978 ford granada then on a 1981 Concord DL with a 258. The 4 cylander cars have different tiny pads and calipers. They do not interchange with the 6 cyl brakes. The 1982-83 Concord brakes are the gm low friction ones same pads and calipers as 82 and up Eagle and are completely different. My 85 Eagle had 350000km on the original calipers and they worked perfect.

I had so much trouble with those ford ones siezing up every few months. Many new calipers, pads and hoses and warped rotors almost on a yearly basis. I let them go with the 1981 Concord when it went to car heaven and went the toyota scarebird route for my Javelin.

Edited by maximus7001 - Mar/24/2018 at 8:02am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2018 at 8:10am
Get NEW (advertised as rebuilt, but they are all new) calipers that Cardone lists at RockAuto for $94 each plus core charge.
The casting MIGHT contact the inside edge of the wheel, so you may have to grind just a bit. Put in a new Master cylinder, new rear wheel cylinders, and silicone fluid and you should be good for years to come!

Good luck!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic