TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Hornet Engine Install Tips

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hornet Engine Install Tips
    Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 11:22am
I’ve read some other threads and talked to some experienced AMC guys, but I thought I’d put this thread out there as I prepare to install my 360 into the 1973 AMC Hornet Sportabout X I picked up the other day. Fitment-wise, it has Patriot Clippster shorty headers and tall aluminum valve covers going into a PB, PS, V8 car.

Here’s some anecdotal info I have so far:

-Start it canted a little to the passenger side and swing it straight as you lower it.
-Loosen the transmission crossmember bolts most of the way to lower the rear of the transmission
-Jack up the front of the transmission and tilt engine rearward then slowly advance them together until dowel pins slide in.
-Put engine mount pads in crossmember first with nuts just started and bolt to engine once it’s in place using a punch or screwdriver to center mounts to engine threaded holes.
-Use a mini starter.
-Get drunk and do it at 2AM.

I fully understand the last one. Kidding... Any value to the others?

1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 12:45pm
I don't think the Clippster headers will fit the small body cars without some modification.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 12:54pm
Don't know about your location, tools, time, and so forth but the best method we have found is remove out the bottom and install from the bottom. Just like the factory. That my not be practical in your case but I thought I would throw that out there.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

I don't think the Clippster headers will fit the small body cars without some modification.

Bob
tufcj

Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard. Hopefully nothing a couple of gentle dents and a light application of grinder can’t manage. Engine installs suck when you spend half a day or more on ancillary tasks. Sometimes I miss my FSJs...
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Don't know about your location, tools, time, and so forth but the best method we have found is remove out the bottom and install from the bottom. Just like the factory. That my not be practical in your case but I thought I would throw that out there.

If I can figure out a cradle/fixture for the engine, I may give that a shot. If anything it’ll be a good experience doing something different.

73LevisX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73LevisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 1:04pm
X2 on the install from underneath.

We got creative with a "fixture"... LOL

'73 Hornet X
304/904
bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 2:15pm
We did this a while back on my friends Hornet and the engine is a VERY tight fit in the Hornet/Gremlin bodies.  It is so tight that on '70 models, you could not remove replace the heater control valve. The TSM had instructions on how to hacksaw part of it off and reuse it with either pop rivets or sheet metal screws (can't remember exactly).

We did the motormount trick described by Red20 and that helped a lot.  Best option is to install the engine first and then get the car high enough to get the trans in from underneath. Bolt it up to the engine and then raise the back end up to install the crossmember.

Of course installing everything from the bottom is the factory method (Chrysler did the same thing) but that's a lot of effort unless you are restoring the car from the ground up.

Just IMO.

Bobster
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 2:30pm
I really appreciate all of the thoughts here. If anything, it encourages me. I’ve had easy breezy installs and nightmare installs. And I always went into them thinking they would be opposite of what they actual ended up being.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 2:51pm
Here she is waiting for transplant surgery.

Not this weekend, but next. Anyone in SoCal wanna come over and turn some wrenches?
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 2:54pm
I will be getting rid of the lovely Eaton PS pump for a Saginaw unit. I’m tired of it spraying my engine bay at high RPMs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic