TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TREMEC CONVERSION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SONOFAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TREMEC CONVERSION
    Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 11:07am
So I was at the World of Wheels last weekend and stopped at the Tremec booth to ask them about a conversion from my T-10 in my 71 AMX 401. To my surprise there is no wit available from them, or this guy doesn't know dung?

I know some of you guys have done it. Whats the deal on how i can get this done?
Did you mean GMC?
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 5:45pm
Try here. I got a quote from them for a AMC engine/T-56 
Not cheap though.....
I've dealt with them when I put their automnatic ( 4L60) behind my BB Mopar in my 70 Challenger. Great to deal with! 

https://shiftsst.com/
calamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 8:16pm
I have done business with them as I am currently replacing the four speed with a tremic 5 speed in my Camaro. They were very helpful and knew what they were doing.
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2018 at 10:10pm
The Tremec uses a jeep/ 6 cyl. bellhousing. I had My AMC trans crossmember modded to fit the mounting pad. I have used both a diaphragm and borg and beck clutch , the diaphragm was less pedal pressure. I did end up with a little extra free pedal before the linkage engages but it's worked for 12 years so far. With the borg and beck clutch I had to have the bearing retainer shortened a bit. I used the Ford / Motorsport/ tremec trans.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 5:08am
Same procedure as with using a Ford V-8 T-5. Jeep bell, Ford trans. You can get a bearing retainer for a Jeep T-5 (used with sixes) though. 
Frank Swygert
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 10:05am
Tremec doesn't build "kits". They build transmissions. Some aftermarket suppliers offer kits with most parts needed to install in your car, or you can source yourself it you want the parts and quality you desire, rather than what someone puts in a kit.

Also, which Tremec transmission? T5? TKO? T56 Magnum? All have been done in AMCs of various models & years. T5 is lowest cost and easiest to fit.

I have a T56 Magnum in my '74 Javelin AMX. I sourced the transmission from local Tremec dealer and got most of the other parts from local NAPA or Summit. Details here:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/6-speed-manual-transmissions_topic48121.html
ITSWHAT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITSWHAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 6:03pm
American Power train is where I got mine.  Everything except a cross member, scatter-shield, clutch, pressure plate, hydraulic throw out bearing, Wilwood master cylinder kit, 16 position shifter and driveshaft.  Works great.
ITSWHAT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITSWHAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 6:05pm
Sorry, it's a TKO600
SONOFAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SONOFAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 2:01pm
Thanks for the input guys
Did you mean GMC?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic