TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New big rotor scarebird kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New big rotor scarebird kit
    Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 4:29pm
I was wondering if anybody tried out the new big rotor scarebird brake kit that uses the 1/2 ton gm calipers and 12” Powertrac rotors and how are they as far as braking power compared to the basic scarebird kit.
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
Gelalthedamned View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelalthedamned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 11:06pm
I keep 14s up front...cause I’m into rake.
But, if I had 15s I’d be all over that...cause I love my current scarebirds.
Calamity - 73 Gremlin X zombie rod (daily driver)
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 10:16am
The new ScareBird kit dose look to be a significant upgrade over those tiny Celebrity calipers.

It is just a shame that they didn't pick calipers that take full advantage of the braking surface on the rotors. Finding a way to use the Ford dual piston calipers would be vastly superior. Or even better yet Toyota 4 piston small truck & SUV calipers.
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 11:04am
I currently run the scarbird basic kit on both my 59 and 60 rambler big cars and they have the stock 15” rims but seems like it can still use little more braking power especially my 60 rambler which I’ve done a mopar swap and has a beefed up dodge 360 in it that I drive it like a bat out of heck but coming to a stop going fast it’s little sketchy and starts getting brake fade. Would be nice if they’d come up with something like that akimmet.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 11:35am
"Braking power" is a bit tough to discern as it means different things to different people, e.g. pedal effort to stop, pedal effort for lockup, fade resistance, stopping distance, modulation and feel, etc.

If brake fade is your issue, try a pad with a higher temperature range, if it's available. They typically also have a higher coefficient of friction to increase braking torque ... or get more airflow to the rotor to increase cooling. A larger, heavier rotor will also help but negatively affects suspension dynamics.

Braking torque = caliper clamping force * pad coefficient of friction * pad effective clamping radius.

A pad change is typically best bang-for-the-buck if available.

If you want more braking power with a rotor that fits inside a 15" wheel, a good option would be a GM D52 caliper ... but need to make your own brackets .. could start with a common stock car bracket. Tons of pad options. Available for 1.04" or 1.28" thick rotors. Low cost and readily available. Big caliper pistons for lots of clamping force without needing excessive line pressure. Aftermarket aluminum options in single and dual-piston for reduced weight, etc.

Hope this helps,RD
AMEX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 11:51am
I've got this kit on my 68 AMX (manual brakes),  converted from drum, so anything is going to be better. They work great and with the Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors, they look great. I agree that the caliper should match the size of the rotor. Maybe Scarebird will upgrade this kit.
I had no problems installing this kit.
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 10:31pm
Thanks for the info guys! RD I’ll try a higher temp pad out to see if that helps but if doesn’t I’ll probably upgrade to that big rotor setup and maybe try a different caliper that takes full advantage of the rotor!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 10:50pm
CoF is stamped on the edge of all pads and shoes............. oh boy - want to confuse the guys at the parts counter? Toss that at 'em.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 7:18am
DOT edge code markings give the CoF at 250 F and 600 F. The codes are a range of CoF, so tough to judge just by code unless going from e.g. FE to FF or similar. GG is about the highest for regular passenger car pads. Some aftermarket manufacturers publish full CoF curves, e.g. Hawk, Porterfield, Wilwood, etc  
EE = 0.25 - 0.35
FF = 0.35 - 0.45
GG = 0.45 - 0.55

Do an Internet search for "DOT Edge Codes" for more details.

Hope this helps,RD
Edit: Fixed font size from cell phone

Edited by Red Devil - Mar/09/2018 at 9:04am
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 8:05am
RD - did you go to the same college I did? So far you are about the only one who knows details of brakes. 
We learned how this was measured, what the specs meant, pretty much like you described it. 
I'm impressed and it's nice to know there's someone like you who appreciates such detail.

By the way - the brake parts I bought arrived and someone asked about the pads - one had the edge while the outboard pad for the other side did not?
Anyway, they arrived and there's a reason - they are two different pad sets - the pads on one side are a different brand and material than the pads on the other side.
I know it won't matter about the outboard pad for one side having that lip or edge - but the mis-match bugs me as far as having two different pad pairs - braking unevenly if the frictions and types are different. (even the look and color is different between the pads in the left caliper compared to the pads in the right caliper but BOY are those brakes HEAVY!!!!!!)
I can't find anyone who lists pads for those brakes - NAPA doesn't even list disk pads for 73 Javelin and O'Reilly only shows one type of pad and they don't totally look like the heavy duty brake pads.
I had a thought as far as still using those new pads with these brakes......... see if you can guess what I mean.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic