TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

identify 343 engine production date

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: identify 343 engine production date
    Posted: Feb/18/2018 at 8:29pm
Is there some way to identify the production date of the Amc engines? I have looked in the valley area of my 343 and found the following info. at the front of the engine in the valley area there is a F followed by 147, CFO, 1. Also has a clock dial symbol that points to 12:00. The left rear of the block has the numbers 8178063 followed by EP in the next flat area. Rear-face of the block has F1
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 5:23am
The casting number you gave, 817063, was reportedly used in 1968 and 1969. I do not know if those refer to model years or strictly the calendar year. 147 is a Julian date code for May 27 of the year referenced. CFD is the mark for the Central Foundries. AMC used several different foundries over the years. The clock symbol refers to the work shift on which the block was cast. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 10:50am
The 343 casting number should be 3179063 and 1 indicates 67 as this was the first year of 343 production.
If there is another casting then 1 will indicate the first year that casting was produced.
Not familiar with the 817063.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 6:16am
Double check that casting number, and the size of the engine. Size should be cast into the side under the motor mount plate.  3179063 is the only number I have listed for a 343 block. All the V-8 numbers I have start with a 3 or 4. Since the number you posted is close to the only one known, I bet you just didn't have it cleaned enough or it was hard to see for some other reason.
Frank Swygert
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 1:07pm
I will have to take a picture and recheck the numbers. they were hard to determine as an 8 and 3 look similar. 
 so the 1 at the rear of the valley area indicates this was the first year of production = 1967?
I will check a 1968 block I have to see if it has a 2 in the same location which should be second year of production = 1968?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 5:03pm
My understanding of the block date coding system is the same as the guys above. Just remember, the model year and calendar year may not be the same. To be sure you should check the Julian calendar date as well and figure out the model year it likely went into. A block cast in 1967 could easily be in a 1968 car if it was cast after about july.
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 7:08pm
The reason I'm interested is I want to clone my XCode 67 Rogue from the 70's so one of the 343 engines will go in it. Not critical but if possible I'd like to use transmission and engine from 1967.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 8:06pm
Look at the main caps. The 67 343s had stepped caps. After the 390 was made all 290 343 and 390s the caps were flat .
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 8:31pm
do you have a photo of the stepped caps? I believe all the caps on the engines I have look the same but I wasn't looking for differences. I look more closely tomorrow. I just am back form the garage checking the valley casting numbers and cast numbers on the rear of the block. 

The casting numbers on two blocks clearly are 3179063, the others are harder to read due to crud or rust and paint. All blocks have a large 1 cast into the third position in the valley. One block is out of a 68 Ambassador, one is out of a Javelin so also 68 or later engine, so not sure the previous comment about the 1 being the first year of production is correct unless AMC was purchasing hundreds of blocks in advance of model years? the Julian dates are 147, 158, 052, 120
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 5:19pm
Kieth I checked all four engine main caps and they are flat so I guess that means they are all 68 or 69 vintage 343.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic