TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New fuel pump failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
WallyMax69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WallyMax69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New fuel pump failure
    Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 12:56pm
Got that pump from NAPA. Ordered another one from O'Reilly. It is identical.

Out of the box (before leaving the store) the pump arm does not have the proper resistance - sure enough, opened it up and the pump arm hook is NOT in the diaphragm shaft "eye".

Where do you guys get your fuel pumps?

This is ridiculous...
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WallyMax69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 5:59pm
So we took it apart in an attempt to soldier on vs. waiting several days for a replacement. The diaphragm shaft has an eye on it that receives a hook on the end of the pump arm. This arm is actually two-piece with a pivot point where the wrist pin is. Not only was the hook out of the eye, this whole piece was assembled backwards so the hook never had a chance of holding onto the eye. It has a slight "nub" if you will, but there was no chance that it could work backwards like that.

We reassembled it after a small struggle, and it seems not to work still. Gonna give it back and try another one from a different parts store. I hope it is not the same make/supplier...
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 5:17pm
Not the 'parts guy'. Akin to shooting the currier. Present the problem and ask him to correct the manufacturing defect.
Mike
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WallyMax69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 3:53pm
So exasperated -

Just tried to start the rebuilt motor and tracked it down to fuel pump.

Disassembly revealed that the shaft connected to the diaphragm was never connected to the rocker pump arm. Haven't removed the arm yet (must drive out wrist pin) but I am guessing that during factory assembly, they had it turned sideways rather than perpendicular as they installed the arm - the hook, or the "eye" rather, was turned sideways so the point (tab?) never made into the slot of the diaphragm shaft.

First clue was that the pump was very easy to operate by hand (too bad I didn't notice during installation weeks/months ago...

So a question -

I can reasonably assume factory assembly failure - I mean I couldn't have dislodged it during installation?

the "eye" on the diaphragm shaft is clean - no damage or trauma.

Just want to gauge how much steam to let off on my parts guy...

- W

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic