TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

removing driveshaft on 64 american

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: removing driveshaft on 64 american
    Posted: Feb/12/2018 at 7:05pm
i was going to pull the driveshaft on my american ..crawled under and saw a strange coupler holding the driveshaft to the rear end...has anyone ever messed with one of these?..whats the easiest way to pull the driveshaft out ?

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2018 at 8:25pm
That is commonly referred to as the "big nut" driveshaft.   Instead of messing with that fastener which requires large wrenches and lots of torque to loosen, you can remove the c-clips from the rear u-joint and disconnect it there.  You will need a good light and a small screwdriver to pry the retainer clips out.  Once you get one out, you will realize that it is not so hard.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2018 at 8:38pm
Don't mess with the big nut! Like Joe said...split the u-joint and get the driveshaft out.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2018 at 11:46pm
the big nut axle is a big PITA... i bought the wrenches and do it the hard? easy? way. joe's suggestion is a good one.

http://sr-ix.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Big-nut/

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

graewolf View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 12:00am
Thank you tomj! I was about to pull mine to replace the seal. What size are the wrenches you used? And did you find a seal that worked? Thanks in advance.....

Perk
Americans, 65 Convertible, 64-65 Wagons, 64 220 2Dr, 66 2Dr Hardtop..... They follow me home!!!
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 12:08am
I took my drive shaft out and never could get it to stay on after that ended up just changing the rear end good luck in your endever
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 12:31am
that is a crazy way to attach a yoke to a rear end...lol...how do you set the preload on the pinion bearings?
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 1:17am
that has nothing to do with preload but you have to make sure its on far enough or you send the drive shaft in to the trans to far yes it is a funky set up
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Ken Doyle View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

I took my drive shaft out and never could get it to stay on after that ended up just changing the rear end good luck in your endever

You've got to get it really clean, and use a special version of Loctite made for splines.

But if you don't really have to remove the rear yoke, DON'T !
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 2:18pm
thanks for the replies...i didnt want to mess with that yoke....i'll try to break the ujoint loose and split it on the car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic