TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Drag Tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drag Tires
    Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 8:51pm
In the past I've run Mickey Thompson bias ply E/T Drag slicks. Small ones, 26" tall and 8.5" tread width. The car makes about 460 HP. Tach up at 2,000 and converter flashes at 3,200. It gets a consistent launch around 1.70 60' times. Have to run tubes and screws. Had a problem with them slipping on the rims at 8.5 lbs of pressure.

Been wondering if the Pro Drag Radials might be better. No tubes or screws but I'm concerned they'll slip.

Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks,
-Steve-

easydean View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 8:55pm
I have had them "glued" - basically a tire bead sealer and it works - have a friend who runs a 10:00 second Maverick with only the bead sealer so it will do the job-Dean
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 11:41pm
I'll bet if you pump them up to 20 psi your 60's will improve a lot and the tires and they wont rotate on the rims.
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2018 at 6:19am
Originally posted by gremlin1945 gremlin1945 wrote:

I'll bet if you pump them up to 20 psi your 60's will improve a lot and the tires and they wont rotate on the rims.

Tried that years ago. Wouldn't hook, just turned & burned.

-Steve-

gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 9:30pm
You think you're asking an awful lot of an eight and a half inch wide slick with 460 horsepower and that diameter Tire that's a lot of wheel speed
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 6:23am
Originally posted by gremlin1945 gremlin1945 wrote:

You think you're asking an awful lot of an eight and a half inch wide slick with 460 horsepower and that diameter Tire that's a lot of wheel speed

The slicks grip well. I chose the smaller diameter tire to more effectively use the 3.54 gear ratio. I go through the 1/4 mile stripe at around 6,100 RPM.

Maybe the rear springs are too stiff. The car sits higher in the back than stock (springs are not original AMC).

-Steve-
RADAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RADAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 9:39am
A good drag radial will hook extremely well but they do need some mechanical planting so if your suspension is to stiff they will spin. Be prepared to work on the suspension. then fine tune it with the shock.
Also drag radials run around 18 psi at the track so they stay on the wheel better than a slick .

Also I am not an expert but the smaller the tire the more air pressure you should run .
I think you are not running enough in that slick . I would probably be 10.5 to 14.5 on that slick.
I run 14.25 on my 28x10.5 ET-Street tires.
just my opinion

Edited by RADAMX - Feb/14/2018 at 9:47am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 9:09pm
Thanks for the info. Suspension and chassis tuning is something I really need to study.

Springs are really stiff. Did some looking, Jeg's has split mono leafs for the AMX.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Calvert-Racing/Calvert-Racing-Split-Mono-Leaf-Springs/4018744/10002/-1

Wonder if that would help. This car spends most of it time on the street so I'm wanting a suspension that doesn't need to be maintained constantly.

Hoping to get a 275/50 15 M/T or M & H radial tire to fit.

-Steve-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic