TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Dash Pad Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX Dash Pad Restoration
    Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 1:04pm
Anyone had any success getting a dash pad restored? I know there are new repos available for $250 but I've heard nothing but horror stories about filament. Mine has the vinyl curling up along the rear edge where it meets the dash (that's actually the only issue). I don't know it its possible to heat the vinyl soft and glue it back down or if it needs to be stripped and recovered?
2javman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2javman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 12:15am
I had my 70 javelin dash pad restored some 20 years ago by "Just Dashes" out of California. IIRC it was about $300 and took some time to get it back but it came out great!
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 9:12am
Thanks for your reply. Do you know or remember what they did to restore it? Was it completely stripped of vinyl and recovered?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 9:35am
i have never used "Just Dashes" (yet) but their restoration process is pretty well explained in numerous magazine articles and involves completely removing the old degraded foam and shaping new foam and then vacuum forming new vinyl over the piece.  If you google Just Dashes I think you will find plenty of links to the process.  It is expensive now too.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 8:01pm
They are 450 to 500 now and the plastic backing can not be to cracked up
2javman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2javman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 12:03am
$450- $500, wow! Although I thought $300 was a lot back then also. I can't say for sure how they did it but it still looks as good today as it did new (fortunately it spends its days in the garage now when not in use). I do believe it did have some cracks in the plastic though. 

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

Anyone had any success getting a dash pad restored? I know there are new repos available for $250 but I've heard nothing but horror stories about filament. Mine has the vinyl curling up along the rear edge where it meets the dash (that's actually the only issue). I don't know it its possible to heat the vinyl soft and glue it back down or if it needs to be stripped and recovered?

You can reglue the 70 AMX/javelin vinyl back in place with crazy glue (or similar). You'll need to remove it from the car and then a lot of small clamps and pieces of wood to hold the vinyl in place while segments dry. I did this years ago before the repro dash pads were available.
70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 1:24pm
The biggest issue is the foam under the cover breaks done so you have that valley appearance. I have a aftermarket in mine now but will swap it out someday
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 10:48am
Steve, do you heat the vinyl up first to make it pliable? It seems very stiff on mine.

kracex View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kracex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 11:26pm
If the back edge is rolling up this is how I fix that.

69 amx racecar
70 amx BBG S.Mask
70 amx
73 gremlin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic