TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rear Glass sealing issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Glass sealing issue
    Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 10:17pm
I'm sure the above are the better sure thing but I had a similar situation with the front windshield on my 67 Ambassador. I did not want to risk removal. Instead I first tried a leak sealant. I think it was a Locktite product. It's a very runny sealant that sealed my issues (I assume) via capillary action. I was sure I'd need to pull the glass, was not looking forward to it, and avoided it.

I bet this doesn't work for everyone but it saved my bacon a couple of years ago.

Of course, your milage may vary.
Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 5:52pm
Urethane is the preferred replacement method. There are multiple urethane products available to reset the glass. Unfortunately you will need to remove the glass, clean all the old adhesive off the glass and the pinch weld of the car, possible remove the paint on the pinch weld, clean & apply urethane primer, apply the correct bead of urethane and reset the glass in place.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 9:16am
car?
ffltstn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 4:35pm
OK so if that's how i need to go what do you recommend to use to seal it? Whats the procedure? I'm having trouble finding much information on line about replacing an classic cars window.
Thanks,
Ken
Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 10:49pm
I've never had much success sealing a leak on a butyl window once it has leaked for a little while.

Back in the day when I did a lot of butyl windows, I'd water test it immediately.  If there was a problem,   I'd dry out the area with gentle air pressure, and reapply a little of the butyl primer in that spot with a small acid brush,  let it dry, then apply a small bit of the left over butyl, stuffing this in tight with a nylon window stick.

But if it has been leaking for a while,  the leak area will be dirty,  and there's no way to clean it out so fresh butyl will stick.  And about the only thing that will stick to butyl is butyl, or it's primer,  other than your fingers.    Silicone or urethane will not stick to butyl good enough to seal long term.

Heating up a tempered glass with a heat gun is just begging for a shattered window.

Seeing as how you're in Florida, it might be warm enough to let the sunshine heat up the glass,  I've removed many a butyl glass  by heating it in the sun and then just pushing it out.  But heating the butyl still isn't likely to clean the leaking area enough for the butyl to reseal.

To be honest with you, after working with butyl early in my bodyman career,  I consider it a obsolete material,  I only use it if someone insist on me using it,  and will only take the job if I know the car is going to be a garage queen.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jan/12/2018 at 10:55pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
ffltstn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 10:26pm
The car I recently bought from a reputable body man has some leaks around the rear glass. He uses Butyl tape and I see the black primer stuff was used. Can the leaks be fixed? Heat up tape? Add some butyl sealant? Or am I stuck having to reinstall the window? (something I have never done). 

It looks like water always pools at the bottom of the glass, (outside) anything that can be done about that also?
Thanks,
Ken

Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic