TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Radio delete

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radio delete
    Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 7:01pm
If your car wasn't equipped with a radio was there still a hole in the cowl for an antenna (70 AMX). Thought there might be a plug or cover of some kind. Not putting a radio back in mine and was going to weld up the cowl.
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 8:07pm
Radio delete had no hole for the antenna...Bob
Thankyou....Bob
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 8:37pm
Since radio's weren't "standard" equipment in 1970 (and actually a fairly expensive option, plus easily 'dealer installed') many AMC's were ordered by dealer's without them. It's not so much a 'delete' as it would be 'no optional radio.'

And, a bit of trivia: NO AMC before 1972 came from the factory with a hole for an antenna, or an installed antenna. They were strictly dealer-installed (lying in the trunk, if the car had a factory installed radio.) Dealers had a template for the hole and installed the antenna as part of 'dealer prep'.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 8:49pm
Mack Massey AMC in El Paso, to my knowledge, never ordered a Hornet or a Gremlin for regular inventory with any type of radio...They instead installed some things called Sparkomatic brand and after market antennas..He wanted to make those extra $ instead of letting AMC have them...Other car lines were no that easy to retrofit and they did order factory units in Matadors, Ambassadors, and Javelins...Bob
Thankyou....Bob
Bill F View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 9:10pm
Thanks for the answers. I'm making a patch and closing it up
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Since radio's weren't "standard" equipment in 1970 (and actually a fairly expensive option, plus easily 'dealer installed') many AMC's were ordered by dealer's without them. It's not so much a 'delete' as it would be 'no optional radio.'

And, a bit of trivia: NO AMC before 1972 came from the factory with a hole for an antenna, or an installed antenna. They were strictly dealer-installed (lying in the trunk, if the car had a factory installed radio.) Dealers had a template for the hole and installed the antenna as part of 'dealer prep'.

^this makes sense, since the 71 Javelin had the antenna hole in a different location (cowl) than the 72-74's,
but wow it's amazing to think the dealers had to drill holes in the cowls of all the brand new cars Confused

I never would have thought that on my own and it seems crazy (tho I believe you are telling the truth).

Thanks for the trivia Star
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 11:27pm
i remember mac masey from when i was stationed in at fort bliss. circa '98-'00 guessing that they're still around

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 7:59am
Interesting about the antennas being installed at the dealers. My 67 Ambassador, which I bought new, was ordered with a am/fm radio. I'll assume that the dealer installed the antenna. But here's something interesting, now that I'm repainting/restoring the car. I have the front fenders off. Between the underside of the fender and the cowl plenum area below there's a space of about a half inch. In this space is a large round foam rubber donut type seal that goes around the perimeter of the two holes for the antenna, The hole in the fender itself and the same sized hole below in the plenum sheet metal.
This seal had to be put there at the factory. Do you think that the template supplied was accurate enough in locating the hole to be drilled in order to not damage this seal ? I wonder if just the fender was left un-drilled and that the corresponding hole in the cowl and that foam donut was put in at the factory on all the big body style cars.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2018 at 8:39am
Originally posted by raser13 raser13 wrote:

i remember mac masey from when i was stationed in at fort bliss. circa '98-'00 guessing that they're still around

They survived at that same great location there on Montana Blvd...a site hard to miss if you are going to Fort Bliss...However they were finally bought out by one of the "big Guys" just a few years ago..It stayed in the families hands, Mr Massey, son, and then I believe Grandson, until that time....They sold a huge amount of product for AMC...Bob
Thankyou....Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic