TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

dist gear shim

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dist gear shim
    Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 8:18am
I'm going through early point dist, has too much shaft end play. Was wanting to finish it this weekend and drop it back in. Didn't really want order and wait for a shim kit to come in. Do you think a standard steel washer is ok or are dist shims some special material. Thanks Paul
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 12:09pm
I wouldn't put a steel washer in there.
If you are in a pinch a fibre washer, just like they use in electric motors, is the way to go. Older hardware stores have them in a box with different sizes or an industrial fastener place will have them.
Those distributor shims are usually polished and hardened steel, fibre washers or brass if really old. Mild steel washers will just eat away your distributor housing and may score the shaft.
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 7:49pm
i would be careful, there is a reason for  more end play then you would think that is needed when the dizzy is out of engine.

Edited by needafasterAMX - Jan/11/2018 at 7:55pm
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 8:34pm
Is there an end play spec? And why would a conventional steel flat washer somehow wear the distributor when a hardened one wouldnt?
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 1:54am
These are always sloppy. Remember they were made by Delco!
I put a couple of these washers from old distributors on mine years ago.
It was a sbc speed secret!

BTW a plain washer will wear dropping metal into your oil.

Ron.

Edited by amxron - Jan/12/2018 at 1:58am
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 7:48am
A conventional washer is neither polished or low friction. On the aluminum housing it will act like an abrasive and pick up aluminum as it rotates, then aluminum will be rotating on aluminum - one of the worst bearing combinations, and things will go bad quite quickly.
There are aluminum on aluminum combinations that work like 2 cycle engines that have high silicon aluminum blocks and soft aluminum pistons - these do not "pick up". Aluminum based bearings on steel shafts - specific metallurgy.
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 1:08pm
I found that when I shimmed the distributor gear to reduce the clearance to what appeared to be a reasonable amount, the engine would then eat the gear.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

I found that when I shimmed the distributor gear to reduce the clearance to what appeared to be a reasonable amount, the engine would then eat the gear.

That's interesting.  Would it be reasonable to assume that when the engine is running the distributor shaft moves outward?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 3:17pm
The distributor shaft moves up and down with acceleration and deceleration. It's a 90 degree gear and that's why it wears, tough angle to transmit motion on a spline gear no matter how little load.
Shimming should be done to recenter the distributor gear with the camshaft gear.
In most cases you will find shimming top and bottom is required.
If you don't know were to shim then check against a known good distributor. I don't have one out of the car or I'd provide a measurement from the top or bottom of the gear to the housing flange.

needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

exactly , It can be shimmed to get what play is in the dizzy, But it is a process, not hard, but not as easy as shimming the dizzy by itself.

Edited by needafasterAMX - Jan/12/2018 at 3:30pm
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic