TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help!!! fresh rebuilt won't start.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help!!! fresh rebuilt won't start.
    Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 9:52am
Ok, I need some help.  I have a fresh rebuild that I am trying to start for the first time.  It is a 360 with flat top pistons from a 343 which puts me about 10.8:1.  Cam is: Lift .473/.497, Duration Int/Exh degrees 289/300, Duration @.050 214/224, lobe center 112. I have a Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold 2131 with a Holly 650 vacuum assist carburetor and an aftermarket HEI distributor.

I cannot get the engine to start, it will almost fire up but not all the way.  I was initially 180 degrees out on the timing, but since I have checked the timing 3 more times.  I took 1 spark plug out bumped over till compression stroke and set timing mark on dampener to 10 degrees BTD. Dropped in distributor with rotor pointed to # 1 spark plug wire location.  I've checked firing order multiple times.  

I am getting fuel. I am getting spark, but it just won't start.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 10:45am
have tried messing with the timing 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 10:55am
Originally posted by matty 401 matty 401 wrote:

have tried messing with the timing 

Yes, I have advanced and retarded the distributor.  I am at a loss.  I am beginning to think it might be the distributor.  Single wire, aftermarket and it so big that it won't rotate all that much.

It will almost start but just won't.
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 11:13am
Jay I would try installing a factory distributer that is good. Some of the aftermarket distributors and electronic ignition need a full twelve volts to operate. The resister wire to coil limits voltage to around 8-9 volts. Maybe even a working carb from another vehicle.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Jay68SST Jay68SST wrote:

...I cannot get the engine to start, it will almost fire up but not all the way.  ....

Elaborate on what you are saying here.  Engine fires sporadically?  Engine starts running but won't stay running?  Engine runs with starter engaged but dies once starter is released?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tached_out View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 11:56am
Your timing may be further off than you think. Check it with the light while you are cranking to make sure you are in the ballpark.
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 12:42pm
Jay did you have Damper Doctor rebuild the harmonic balancer? If not It may be off and not at a true top dead center. What did you use for timing chain set up? If you have fuel and a good spark you should fire unless timing is way off.
Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 1:52pm
I guess I should explain a little better on the starting.  When cranking it will fire sporadically, running open headers and you can hear it pop and fire but just won't completely start.

I didn't have the harmonic balancer rebuilt because it read 0 degrees when I had #1 cylinder at TDC.  I followed the AMC manual to a T on installing the timing chain making sure the dots were perfect and even counted the links like the book says.

That was my next move is to install my factory 343 distributor with points, just need to get a coil and wires.  I just ordered a different distributor with smaller cap, as the large HEI doesn't allow me to rotate very far...just didn't think I would have this much of a problem.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Jay68SST Jay68SST wrote:

...That was my next move is to install my factory 343 distributor with points, just need to get a coil and wires.  I just ordered a different distributor with smaller cap, as the large HEI doesn't allow me to rotate very far...just didn't think I would have this much of a problem.

That would be a good move to try a points distributor.  For an initial break in I'll typically use a points distributor because you can get the timing on the money, before firing, with a test light and eliminate one source of confusion.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2018 at 2:40pm
Sounds like the compression is off
Like it's got to long a pushrods in it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic