TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

O/D transmission & Shifter Location

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: O/D transmission & Shifter Location
    Posted: Dec/31/2017 at 11:00am
I really want to put a modern automatic overdrive tranny in my 72 Javelin with a 304. Do any of them (AW4,42RH,A500,700R4,TH400 etc.) allow use of the factory console shifter in its original location? I'm ok with using an engine adapter but don't want to hack up the interior. Thanks!

Edited by CamJam - Dec/31/2017 at 11:17am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2017 at 12:52pm
I don't have a console but will most likely adapt the electronic shift solenoid to the original warp style shifter mechanism when I get my 4spd overhauled and installed. I haven't spent much time on this issue but I'm looking at adapting parts from a Winters Shifter to make this happen.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2017 at 1:41pm
The AW4 doesn't have a selector position for 1st gear,
gear shift positions being OD, D &1/2,
but I'm unaware if the spacing/dedents between the gears are the same from the 3spd to the 4spd auto.

I bet Farna knows Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2017 at 6:27pm
What rear gear ratio do you have? Most 304 Javelins have a 2.87 gear and with an o/d it would only turn 1866 rpm at 70 mph with 26" tall tires. At 60 mph it would only spin 1600 rpm. That's pretty low rpm.
As far as fit goes, you only need a 42RH and it will fit and work with the stock shifter. I had the larger 46RH in mine and it fit.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2017 at 11:55pm
Thanks for the response Keith. Haven't found the markings on the diff and haven't checked it by rotating a tire yet, but I assume it's 2.87 as most of them are, as you say. Based on my tire diameter I figure 1,920 rpm at 70 mph, but with our 75 mph speed limit here most of the traffic on the Interstates moves at 80-85 mph. In any case, I'm prepared to change the ring & pinion if it doesn't work out.

Good to know that the shifter will work. Even if it requires some mods to the linkage that would be ok.

The trick will be finding a 2WD 42RH with an AMC bolt pattern. Lots of Jeeps of the right vintage at our local Pick and Pull, but none are 2WD. Even if there were, most would likely be 42RE or have the Chrysler bolt pattern.

Edited by CamJam - Jan/01/2018 at 12:23am

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2018 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

What rear gear ratio do you have? Most 304 Javelins have a 2.87 gear and with an o/d it would only turn 1866 rpm at 70 mph with 26" tall tires. At 60 mph it would only spin 1600 rpm. That's pretty low rpm.
As far as fit goes, you only need a 42RH and it will fit and work with the stock shifter. I had the larger 46RH in mine and it fit.

I have the 304 with 3.31 gears, non-od 3spd and fat 26.1" tires. It pushes ~2575@60 and 3K@70. The .75OD in the A340 would make this 1920/2240, which is far more suited for OD than every V8+2.xx geared counterpart. Keep the tall ratios in cars that can handle it, namely with the L6. I would suggest 3.08 minimum since it looks like I will be doing the same to my wagon.
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

The trick will be finding a 2WD 42RH with an AMC bolt pattern. Lots of Jeeps of the right vintage at our local Pick and Pull, but none are 2WD.

You're kidding, right? The bell isn't the problem as it's interchangeable in the A340 and possibly another Toyota 5spd. The 4WD Cherokees net me lots of donor parts for the Eagle and few parts for the Javelin, considering how common/rare these drops are in the PNW. You're in the desert. You do not have this problem. Get some coveralls and heating pads then go out to Pull N Save and pick a complete donor from any of the following:
White 95 Cherokee SE (Nov 14)
Blue 96 Cherokee SE (Sept 28)
Blue 97 Cherokee Sport (Nov 01)

Make sure you pick the complete bell, torque converter, transmission and most importantly the slip yolk from the driveshaft before you begin tearing into the rest. To my knowledge there is no fixed yolk version of this transmission anywhere, so bring the pliers, punch and mallet to tap that part loose first or you'll be fighting it last. Other than that, U-Pull has some mystery 94 Cherokee that dropped Dec 12 but I wouldn't bother. I picked my A340 from a 2000 Cherokee this Summer 100mi from me in Lynnwood. Torque converter, bell, transmission and unnecessary shift linkages(studying purposes) at the till was $100 during their half off sale.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2018 at 9:57am
Thanks, I'd forgotten that the bell is removable on the A340, which sure makes it a good candidate. I seem to remember that the shifter interface on the A340 was a hassle (perhaps for the reasons mentioned above?) unless you used a Jeep shifter, but I'll look into that. I read the sticky on it a couple weeks ago but at the time it seemed like it would be a bit more work than the 42RH. Time to read it again perhaps.

Edited by CamJam - Jan/01/2018 at 10:43am

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2018 at 12:21pm
Since the AW4 shifter is electrical, it should be possible to come up with something that interfaces with the stock console shifter. Duplicating the feel of detents might be the hardest part. Alternatively, I could just keep the console lever for show and add a rotary switch, like the new Grand Cherokees have.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2018 at 2:48pm
Never heard of Pull N Save before as they're a couple hours away, but turns out two of those Cherokees DaemonForce mentioned are 2WD! Looks like I might have to take a drive.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2018 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Since the AW4 shifter is electrical, it should be possible to come up with something that interfaces with the stock console shifter. Duplicating the feel of detents might be the hardest part. Alternatively, I could just keep the console lever for show and add a rotary switch, like the new Grand Cherokees have.

Well, it looks like the shift linkage to AW4 is a cable, not fly-by-wire as I had thought. Should also be possible to make this work with the original Javelin shifter, but chances are the indexing will be off. Easiest way to deal with this might be a new plastic overlay to change to spacing of the PRND21 markings, but I won't really know until I get into it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic