TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headers
    Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 10:26am
Looking for info on Headers. Looking for a short set of headers that will fit a 70 390 Javelin and I want to make sure that fit nice and they are up high and tight to the undercarriage as possible. And of course with no modifications needed. Best advice?

Thanks
1970 Javelin Mark Donohue
1970 Hornet Shirley Shahan
(Tribute)

bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 10:33am
Patriot headers makes a nice shorty header.Unless you could find used eddy ones.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 12:30pm
FWIW I watched this the other day to find out what I've heard and seen before that shorties are not any better that factory free flows in terms of performance. It's interesting to see how much long tubes really do make a difference but on a street car are they really worth the money. Confused Check it out for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7_lSU3D0jw&index=14&list=PLGvTvFzdMg_O2T3UdUEt5dIHutSOu7srE

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
einbier View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote einbier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 5:57pm
 Interesting. Mids give you about 15HP Longs much more.  So are the factory dog leg manny's considered free flow?

1970 Javelin Mark Donohue
1970 Hornet Shirley Shahan
(Tribute)

bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 6:16pm
Not the 70 log style. Free flows odd shaped 71 and up style.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 10:02pm
Long tube headers give about 15 hp and 20 foot pounds of torque over free flows or shorty headers (which are virtually identical). Someone posted a dyno test here a while back and that was the result. Seat of the pants feel with headers vs free flows or shorties is that the long tube headers have the best effect in the mid range, which does not show up so much when you are just talking peak hp/torque. You get a nice fat mid range torque boost from the scavenging effect of tuned headers, which is what you want on the street as opposed to the track.

Chris

PS: In answer to your question, go free flows if you are super concerned about clearance. They will seal best , be quietest and have excellent clearance. I don't think shorty headers do anything FF's don't except cost money and give sealing and eventually rust issues.

Edited by ccowx - Dec/29/2017 at 10:06pm
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 6:36am
interesting facts thanks for posting I was thinking of going to a shorty on the amx because they look better
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Dave Z View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 6:52am
Something that may not matter at all to some but will to others is the sound of an engine with headers. Headers will make it sound like you put in a lumpier cam. If you think that doesn't matter to anyone, consider that cam grinders offer cams that specifically produce an aggressive exhaust sound. For example, Comp Thumpr cam grinds.
Old cars are mostly toys to show off and spend plenty of time at cruise nights. Headers have plenty of problems but engine performance and drivability will not suffer. Purposely putting too aggressive a cam can negatively effect drivability so if exhaust sound is what you're after, which is the better option?

Dave Z
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Dave Z Dave Z wrote:

Something that may not matter at all to some but will to others is the sound of an engine with headers. Headers will make it sound like you put in a lumpier cam. If you think that doesn't matter to anyone, consider that cam grinders offer cams that specifically produce an aggressive exhaust sound. For example, Comp Thumpr cam grinds.
Old cars are mostly toys to show off and spend plenty of time at cruise nights. Headers have plenty of problems but engine performance and drivability will not suffer. Purposely putting too aggressive a cam can negatively effect drivability so if exhaust sound is what you're after, which is the better option?
Dave Z

You're right Dave but the flip side to that is fighting the leaks and for long tubes, fitment issues. Also if you have or are planning on having EFI you can have no leaks near, or upstream of the O2 sensor or it will cause you major headaches. I guess how much you drive it is the deciding factor.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 9:14am
i have a set of shorty headers on my 304 matador just changing to them did help it  runs cooler and a little bit better MPG 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic