TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

which 6 cyl is in my 64 american wagon?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 8:58pm
If the cable is pushed all the way forward,  overdrive is engaged.   

If the cable is pulled out,  OD is disengaged.

But the car should move forward from a standstill no matter if the cable is in or out.

The systems designed so that if any electrical connection goes bad you just don't have overdrive,  but if the hold-in solenoid fails and jambs in the engaged position then you can get a situation like you describe.
  If you don't have the TSM for your car,  there are several websites devoted to the BW overdrive and it's troubleshooting.  

Why does this website suddenly go to small print ???. .
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 9:19pm
the cable is connected to a lever on the transmission...i disconnected the cable from the lever and pushed the lever toward the front of the car...did i move it the wrong way?...i dont have the manual and cant find the websites you mentioned...the push button switch is froze...i unhooked the main power wire from the starter and just ran a hotwire from the battery to the coil and using a remote starter to start it.....i didnt know what condition the wiring was in so i thought i'd bypass it untill i got the motor running
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 9:51pm
With switch in the forward position (simulating the cable pulled out) the overdrive is disengaged.  You should be able to drive the car. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 8:49am
As Joe says, with the lever forward the OD should be locked out. The car should drive like a normal three speed car, with higher revving of the engine due to the lower geared rear axle, but not an issue around town.

Unless something is bad wrong inside the OD unit the car should move in gear with the clutch out and engine running. When the planetary gears jam (a common problem is a planetary shaft breaking, jamming the gears in place) the OD unit just locks together -- no OD, but will still operate as if you have the cable pulled out. There is a free-wheeling clutch in the rear designed to prevent over revving the engine when you go down hill (also prevents engine braking in OD, and push starting the car). I don't think it can fail in such a way as to prevent the car from moving. Could be a rear axle problem as well.

Does the car make any noise when you release the clutch? One thing to do is have someone look at the center of the rear wheels, usually the passenger side rear wheel, and see if it is turning inside the hub (take hub caps off). The hub can spin on an axle, and if it's slipping real bad can prevent the car from moving, as with a standard differential all power goes to the spinning wheel... or axle in this case. They can also look under the car and see if the driveshaft is turning. That would indicate a spun hub (if it's turning also) or something broke inside the rear axle.

If the hubs are good and the driveshaft isn't turning, it must be an OD problem. Or a clutch problem. I'm assuming the car won't roll when the clutch is out? If it will roll when the clutch is in not a clutch issue. If it won't roll with the clutch in or out you could have frozen brakes. Frozen rear brakes will keep it from moving, but would stall the engine.
Frank Swygert
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 1:36pm
Frank, how can you overrev the engine in overdrive ?  
 The engine is turning 33% less RPM in overdrive than direct drive, You'd have to be going down a mighty steep hill in 2nd overdrive to even have the possibility of over revving any engine.

And every OD car I had, (3),  only freewheeled when the overdrive was engaged, ( knob forward ) and I was below the engagement speed of around 25-30 mph.   Above that engagement speed there was no free wheeling when going down hills .

The only time mine freewheeled above engagement speed was when I had a short in the electrical system, and it blew the fuse to the OD .   I drove that car for 18 years,  that's the only problem I ever had with the overdrive.  The other 2 cars were trouble free.

Google BW R-10 overdrive,  it has several websites devoted to the Borg Warner overdrive, complete with how to use it, maintain it, and trouble shoot it.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 2:00pm
on the passenger side there is a access hole in the transmission hump of the floorboard....according to what i see online it is the govenor...on the driver side is the solenoid....i have bypassed the electrical system on the car by disconnecting the main power wire off the starter....maybe thats the problem...i'm going to reconnect the power wire and find out is there are any problems with the wiring,,,hopefully nothing fries...lol
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 8:19pm
from what i can find online the electrical system for the overdrive consists of ..kickdown switch ...relay...governor and solenoid..i havent been able to locate the relay...i read online they were on the firewall ...did rambler put them inside the car under dash maybe?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 8:25pm
The overdrive relay on a Rambler Classic at least is on one of the fender aprons under the hood.  It has an exposed glass fuse on it.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 8:27pm
joe...thats what i was seeing online but cant find one on mine
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 8:34pm
does anyone have wiring diagrams for the overdrive  on rambler?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic