TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

which 6 cyl is in my 64 american wagon?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 8:17pm
frank...where would the fuse be located?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 6:31am
On the fuse panel of a 64. Feeds off the ACC fuse, which is in the corner above the blower fuse. 
Frank Swygert
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 1:50pm
thanks frank....i had a plastic fuel tank from a tractor ..ii bungeed it in the back and later when the traffic clears up i'm going to take it around the block....the reason why the car wouldn't move when i let the clutch out is because the o/d cable was stuck..and it was stuck halfway between in and out...i replaced the cable and it works now...i do have a silly question...i read that if you try to take off in first or reverse while in overdrive very bad things will happen......is that only when the electric solenoid is engaged or even when the cable is pushed in?...what i mean is can i use reverse only when the cable is pulled ?....i just dont want to shred something due to my ignoranceWink
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 4:33pm

You've just enabled the car to go into overdrive by pushing the lever forward,  but it doesn't go into overdrive until it gets above the engagement speed of 25-30 mph.

You can start out in first,  or engage reverse with the lever forward,  because it isn't actually in overdrive until you're above that engagement speed.

The owner's manual does advise if you park it with the lever forward, that you put the shifter in reverse.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 9:46pm
i took the old sled out on her maiden voyage today...i did notice the clutch slipping..the clutch pedal is very tight with no free play..i'm going to give it some free play tomorrow and see if it helps...but more than likely it will need a clutch...rock auto doesn't list them and neither does orielys....i found a couple places but they are pretty high priced....i'm guessing the spline count is the same as ford...has anyone tried to use a ford clutch on their rambler?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 6:49am
As tyrodtom says, if you're using the factory electrics you can't engage OD until over 25-30 mph -- assuming the governor is working. It can stick "off", but not likely in the "on" position -- it is centrifugal and moves "up" when spun fast enough to engage OD. Springs hold it "in", so even if in a "down" position on the trans (I seem to recall it is) it's not likely to stick "on".   If you're straight wiring it then you don't want to engage OD unless moving forward. Won't hurt to engage it in first, but it shouldn't engage in reverse. When you put the trans in reverse there is an internal OD lock-out. Even if you're backing up and flip the switch it shouldn't engage OD... but to be safe I wouldn't try it! The only danger I can see of engaging in first is there might be a hard pull on the car. I did it a few times when I was running a straight wired OD (over 30 years ago as a teen!), and no harm from split-shifting first. No good either, so I only did it a few times to see what happened... no discernible difference between 1+OD and 2nd, very little between 2+OD and 3rd. In reverse it's a different story! The freewheel clutch could be damaged -- I think it could jam in the housing, would have to look at it again to see. You can use reverse without moving the OD cable due to the internal lock-out.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic